Air Stone Question

Rex

Hello everyone, I hope y'all are doing well.

I have a question about air stones. I'm currently using an Aquarium Coop nano usb air pump, and a Ziss never clog air stone. The stone itself, not the pump is making an awful whistling noise. The best way I can describe the noise is if you bit your lower lip and try and blow air through your teeth. That high pitched whistling and sputtering noise is what I'm talking about. I've tried other air stones and I still get the same issue.

I have also tried putting an air valve on the line and restricting some of the air flow but it seems to make the whistling more intense. I then tried adding a bleed valve instead to bleed off some of the excess pressure and see if that helped and still no luck. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I've checked the check valve and there's no air escaping from it, it just seems to be the air stones that I'm having an issue with.

Ultimately what I'm trying to achieve is just some fine bubbles in the background of my tank, I'm not running a sponge filter or anything. It's a 5gal tank in my bedroom so I was trying to avoid bubbles making too much noise and making my tank sound like a witch's cauldron at night.

Hmm, are you certain the sound is coming from the airstone, and not your hose? You may have a tiny pin prick hole in your line causing the sound. You might replace your airline to see if that resolves the issue. Also you can control the bubble flow of the airstone by tightening and loosening the head. If memory serves me they come with 3 air flow gaskets already installed (the green rings). You can detach the head and try only 2 or 1 to see if that would improve it. Careful not to lose the tiny clear washers that sit between the airflow gaskets. ( I dropped one once and spent 10 minutes crawling around the floor like it was a lost contact lens lol).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

Hmm, are you certain the sound is coming from the airstone, and not your hose? You may have a tiny pin prick hole in your line causing the sound. You might replace your airline to see if that resolves the issue. Also you can control the bubble flow of the airstone by tightening and loosening the head. If memory serves me they come with 3 air flow gaskets already installed (the green rings). You can detach the head and try only 2 or 1 to see if that would improve it. Careful not to lose the tiny clear washers that sit between the airflow gaskets. ( I dropped one once and spent 10 minutes crawling around the floor like it was a lost contact lens lol).

I’ve checked, yeah. I’ve even went as far as to cut new lengths of airline tubing. It’s definitely coming from the stone. I’ve also tried different stones and all have had similar effects.