Purigen recharging without Prime?

Torey Underwood

Everything I’ve read about recharging Purigen says to use prime as the dechlorinator after soaking in bleach. I don’t use Prime because I started my tanks using the jungle dechlorinator sold at Walmart because to use Prime I’d have to drive an hour every time I need dechlorinator, which is quite often.  So, my question is, does it matter what brand dechlorinator you use to recharge Purigen?

No, any dechlorinator would do the same thing. 

I am not familiar with Purigen, but did a quick google search. It seems like something that normally would be completely unnecessary. If you have a filter running and the tank has cycled, doing water changes should have the same effect.

Am I missing something else?

• Like 1

Squeegee79 I like to use it every once and awhile to clear tannins if my water parameters are fine and don’t Necessarily need a water change. And it pulls ALL the tannins out. It’s not necessary by any means though you’re correct. I just like using it every now and then for a little boost in water clarity. I have a massive piece of driftwood so the Purigen is like a little helper.  

I don’t think that’s old school at all lol it’s definitely true in most cases. I have a planted tank that I swear feels like I should be doing water changes weekly but it seems like it does way better if I just top off. But because I’ve taken that approach with that particular tank I test the water literally every day because I’m paranoid that not having a regular water change schedule for it has to be bad right? However so far, only top offs is working beautifully. On the tank I use the Purigen in I absolutely do weekly water changes though in conjunction with using the Purigen from time to time.