Snail Treatment for Subwassertang

@Irene has a good video on treatment below. There's a follow-up video too. I think she did an extra test on val which I think is less hardy than subwassertang(?).

Do watch both videos they're very helpful. The tl;dw is probably try Alum, or maybe a gentler dip of H2O2. I hope it's okay for me to post a screengrab of the end of the second video below:

image.png.74e218bb1ad223561d4d59acc3e0bcee.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Socqua said:

@Irene has a good video on treatment below. There's a follow-up video too. I think she did an extra test on val which I think is less hardy than subwassertang(?).

Do watch both videos they're very helpful. The tl;dw is probably try Alum, or maybe a gentler dip of H2O2. I hope it's okay for me to post a screengrab of the end of the second video below:

image.png.74e218bb1ad223561d4d59acc3e0bcee.png

I saw this, but my concern was Subwassertang, which I don't think is necessarily hardier than Val. I was hoping someone had done some tests specifically on Subwassertang.

@theotheragentm So far, I have tried as low as 4 hours (for 1 Tbsp alum per gallon of water) and I was able to kill ramshorn snails and snail eggs. I'm in the process of testing this new recipe on other pest snails (waiting for them to produce eggs), but the sensitive plants did much better with only 4 hours of exposure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irene said:

@theotheragentm So far, I have tried as low as 4 hours (for 1 Tbsp alum per gallon of water) and I was able to kill ramshorn snails and snail eggs. I'm in the process of testing this new recipe on other pest snails (waiting for them to produce eggs), but the sensitive plants did much better with only 4 hours of exposure.

Thanks, @Irene! I have pond snails I'm working with so I'm going to give it a go next week. That's a bit harder to figure out whether I missed small snails or eggs. Any guesses as to how often would you think I could do a 4-hour exposure time? Every 3 days, assuming I changed out the water completely after the dosing?

Hmm, I'm actually not sure! I've never done repeated exposures before. What I did for my tests was to dip once and then leave the plants in a quarantine container for 2-4 weeks (depending on how cold the water is) and see if any snails hatch. If the snail eggs stayed light colored and never darkened into baby snails, then I knew they were safe. 👍

• Like 2