White stuff on plant

This white, fluffy stuff (see photo) must have appeared in a day or so, and seems to be spreading, but just on this one plant (and it's the only plant of its type in the tank). It first appeared on the ruffled, bumpy edges of the leaves, but now it has spread to a thin layer on the inner, flat portion of the leaves. Any ideas on what it is, what caused it, and how to get rid of it? 

20210120_110408.jpg

Will Billy, thanks for your comments. In viewing the video, indeed the white stuff on the plant could certainly be fungus. I'm also wondering, though, if the white stuff is white algae. In viewing images of fungus and white algae, it's difficult for me to distinguish the two. Any thoughts on distinguishing features? In any case, I removed the plant from the aquarium (as also suggested in the link) and will attempt eradication of the white stuff . The instructions from the link provided will be very helpful for this eradication effort. The link indicates the use of an "Aquarium Water Treatment Kit". I attempted to identify a kit, but haven't been able to locate an actual "kit". Any ideas on the contents of a "kit"? Although it's early, no other white stuff appears in the tank or on the fish, fingers crossed, knock on wood. Thanks again.   

On 1/22/2021 at 6:49 AM, Knew tooth is said:

I'm also wondering, though, if the white stuff is white algae. In viewing images of fungus and white algae, it's difficult for me to distinguish the two.

I would be surprised if the white algae were indeed an algae. Almost all plants (which includes algae) are green, purple, red or brown. This is because without the color pigments that are used for photosynthesis, the plants and algae would starve to death.

Yes there is a possibility that it is rhizo algae ( rhizoclonium to be exact ). Then again it could be a type of algae i am unfamiliar with. Perhaps another forum member can add some insight. I still feel like it is a fungus, and not rhizo algae from what i can tell by your picture, but i will admit i am only about 80% sure. Here is a picture of rhizo algae, to compare how they look different. It is possible to misdiagnose through a picture tho. Either way, separating it to a quarantine tank may be best until we can definitively work out what exactly it is and how to treat. If anti-fungal treatment isnt producing results, you might switch tracks and try an algaecide approach. Keep me posted on your results, so we can share our knowledge with others. 

BCC87ECA-2CB2-493C-ACEB-583A9142EFDE.jpeg

Thank you Daniel and Will Billy for your comments and photo. The identification of the white stuff is definitely leaning more towards fungus rather than algae. The white stuff on the uploaded photo is more wispy than the white stuff on the plant . Is there a way to rid the fungus (if indeed it is a fungus) besides a fungicide? Would a snail remove the fungus? Currently, the plant is in a jar with water, with a light shining on it. I would like to keep the plant alive and growing, so I really don't want to remove the light.

• Like 1

Well for a more holistic approach, here are some suggestion that may help. Typically when plants become infected, be at algae, bacteria, or fungus, the general consensus is the plant is stressed in some way. Just like you and your fish, plants do in fact have an immune system, that they use to fight off stuff like that. Stressed plants have a weakened immune system.  Plants can be stressed in different ways, too much or too little light, not enough nutrients, or nutrient imbalance, being constantly moved around or replanted. Generally a healthy, happy plant can fight off the “bad stuff”. This will take some research on your part of what your plant needs, and some testing of nutrients in your water column. ( easier said then done, but not impossible to do). After determining why your plant is stressed and you begin to nurse it back to health, there are a few things you can do to give your plant the upper hand in its fight to rid itself of said issue. Often people use algae eaters and invertebrates like shrimp or snails to help remove excess algae or bacterial blooms. I do know i have had bacterial blooms on drift wood that snails and shrimp pounced on like a cat on catnip. They ate it right up. I am not sure if invertebrates would eat fungus, or if that particular strain of fungus would be safe for them. There are a few strains of fungus that snails can and will eat, but it then infects them and uses the snail to travel and redistribute the fungus to new locations. Luckily those are extremely rare. You could try invertebrates and see, but i would do some research on that before you go dumping in critters that may not even eat the stuff. 

• Like 1

Will Billy- what a full response! Lots of food for thought! Admittedly, I didn't even consider stress to the plant and the negative impact on its immune system. But, it makes sense, because this was, and still is, the only plant (or animal or object) with this fungus. And, yes, we'll call it a fungus, now. This plant started as 1 inch and it was growing really well, so I'd like to try and rescue. Currently, the fungus on the isolated plant has receded such that it only remains on the ruffled edges of the leaves, The isolated plant is exposed to light with added Coop Growth formula. Hope this trend continues- we'll see. Then, to figure out the stressor(s) in the original tank. By the way, in the original tank were three, bushy nose plecos (or is it bristle nose?) who evidently didn't find the fungus appetizing. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I deluded myself thinking that the fungus was going away in the isolated plant. Well, at least the fungus is not growing further. I was wondering if this plant could grow not under water. That is, planted in soil, with nutrients, and light source. I have read that many plants for the aquarium are actually commercially grown out of water and was wondering if this were one of those plants. If so, perhaps the fungus would die if not under water.

Could you post an updated pic of your plant? What type of plant is it? It is true that aquarium plants are grown emersed with just the root part under water and leaves in the air. Thats why many aquatic plants melt when they are submerged. They are shedding their out of water leaves, and growing in their underwater leaves. Being honest I have never tried to reverse the procedure, and cant really comment on how successful that would be. What all have you tried so far in quarantine? Have you tried gently scrubbing the leaves with a soft tooth brush? You might use a spray bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide. If it is indeed a fungus you may try increasing the temperature of the water. Alternatively you may get you some tiny bladder snails and dump them in and see what happens. I think i would exhaust all other options before attempting to replant out of water and potentially stress the plant any further. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will Billy et al.: An image  of the plant is attached. The plant was purchased from Aquarium Co-op. I returned to the purchase list and pictures, but really couldn't see one that fit. Any ideas on what the plant is? And, here's an update on this plant re the fungus. The plant has been without treatment, except for isolation and bathing in water containing added "Growth" nutrient solution and iron (both from Aquarium Co-op), at room temperature and under an LED daylight lamp- 5000K, 10W. To the naked eye, the white fungus appears to be gone except for the one, large leaf shown in the picture. I took a soft tooth brush to the leaf this a.m. and it appears that some of the fungus was dislodged. I plan to gently rub a bit more, tomorrow, and the day after, etc. In the absence of visual fungus, do you think it would be safe to replant the plant without performing any additional, precautionary step? The plant would be in a different aquarium. Also, there is no evidence of fungus in the tank from which the plant was removed and all other plants in this tank are doing well. Thanks.

20210215_124519 (1).jpg

My best guess as to the type of plant from pictures provided would be Cryptocoryne Lutea. I would say it is safe to go ahead and replant it now. Its gonna need light and food to bounce back from being sick. Keep a close eye out for any more fungus to regrow. If i am correct in identifying it as Cryptocoryne, i would highly suggest root tabs for fertilizer. This will help it rebuild, and cut back on algae that may attach to it from liquid fertilizers. Root tabs are the preferred method for Crypts anyways. As it bounces back to health, look for new plant growth. The new leaves that sprout will be your best indicator of how your plant is doing. The old leaves should eventually wilt, at which point should be removed for rot. The new leaves should take over, and within 1-2 months it should be back on track to its former self. Keep me posted on your progress.