What are you most passionate about in this hobby?

FrozenFins

Do you have a fish room setup for breeding fish? Or are you that monster fish guy that considers everything to be under 30 gallons a nano aquarium? What are you most passionate/ intersted in this hobby?

Ever since joining the co-op community and this forum I have started to reallu LOVE planted tanks. Now every tank of mine needs a plant of some kind. My favorite kind of aquariums are planted bio-topes. I have been really thinking about a nano  planted asian biotope. I find that lush, green, pearling plants can be very satisfying. I also really like aquariums that mimic the natural habitat of fish. For example an aquarium with no filter or heater but with so many plants that they can get away with this and the zero waterchanges but only the odd top-off.

Edited by James Black

I think the part that stirs me the most is creating, and maintaining a self contained and healthy ecosystem in a glass box. From bacteria, to algae, to cleaning crew, to prized little pretties. Not to mention water parameters, minerals, oxygen, CO2, etc... Its sorta like a living science project in this amazing 3D environment that we rarely catch a glimpse of throughout our daily lives. Im a firm believer that if you wanted to build a self sustaining base station on the moon or mars, you would be wise to seek advice from aquarium enthusiasts, who not only maintain our glass box ecosystems, but also always push the boundaries of what science and technology can do in the quest for the no water change, completely self contained aquarium. Yep thats right folks, I wave my nerd flag high, and not ashamed of it. In a way my aquarium is sorta like an extra child, I am often amazed and proud when i see my pets and the entire ecosystem as a whole grow and thrive. Along the way mistakes happen, there are often unforeseen bumps in the road, and at times the hobby can have you pulling your hair out, but when it all comes together through hard work and dedication it’s more than worth it. 

• Like 2

So far is say the satisfaction from it. Many ups and downs learning and it's been able to teach me paitence, and cull my urge for instant gratification. I mean I could keep throwing money at it, but life is only going to do what it WANTS to do with what it works with. 

I work all over the US as a diamond core driller so I end up work for weeks at a time, on my days off I spend my time learning, and working on my aquariums. My wife fills in most of the maintenance when I'm working. And our children are taking more of an interest watching how things develop. I've probably wasted more money then I needed to, but now backing off and utilizing things I like I'm actually happy with what I achieved so far. My main tank must be happy to because I ended up getting a rack setup with several tanks for fry purposes, because it's full of babies. Maybe it can pay me back? 😂

My passion is how working on my tanks makes me feel. It's very Zen. When I'm trimming plants, rearranging the décor, planning what to do next or even just watching the behavior of the inhabitants, nothing else is in my mind but what is happening in that moment. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and my tanks have been the best therapy for me; I really don't know how I'd have got through the last year without them. 

Not to mention the satisfaction I feel when everything is working well.

That said, I also love the whole "ecosystem in a box" thing. I love seeing the fish/snails/shrimp go through their life cycles, how they interact with each other and teh little world I've created for them. I love caring for the plants. I love tweaking the environment to improve how it all works together. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

I'm mostly excited about everything that is still to come for me in the hobby. Having some success with breeding and feeling more confident keeping different or more advanced species gets me all excited because I know there's so much more out there to do. 

I think eventually I will be the guy with a collection of unusual less common fish that not many people take an interest in but I find fascinating. 

• Like 1

@James Black what a fun question! There are so many aspects to this "hobby" -- and I say that in quotes because it's so much more than that. I think I've become so passionate so quickly because having aquariums gives you the ability to step outside yourself and your daily life in a way I haven't experienced with other activities. It is such a wonderful way to stop and be present in the moment, which I generally have a very hard time with. It's also a lifelong learning process so it presents continual pleasure and challenges. Every tank is different, with it's own signature footprint and the possibilities related to creating that are endless. At the end of the day, it's your creation and that in itself is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 1

I was first drawn to the idea of keeping fish and that has developed into keeping and experimenting with plants.  I like the fact that it’s not a set it and forget it hobby. These systems take time and energy to execute well and that creates some very rewarding moments.  I never anticipated plants being higher maintenance than the fish though!  Most of my time spent on the aquariums is in the form of assessing, trimming, and improving the plant life.  I love getting in front of the aquariums to simply observe the details, it’s exciting to find changes 

• Like 1

I think what really appeals to me is being in control of these tiny little worlds... I can't control what's happening in the whole world and that really gets to me sometimes, so the fact that I have the power to make these glass ecosystems lovely is really satisfying. I also just love having nature in my house! I'm a conservation biology student, and I love that I always have examples of stuff I learn in class just chilling in my bedroom.

My favorite part is all of the planning, setting up, and cycling of the tank. That's honestly what drives me the most. Nothing beats all of the pre-shopping, bouncing around ideas on equipment and inhabitants, where you're getting your tank from, etc.  It's the most fun part of this hobby, IMO.

There's no other pet where you have all of this planning and equipment. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1