Lonely schooling survivor

KaitieG

My question for today is what do you do when you have a group of schooling fish that slowly die off over a period of years leaving one or two lonely survivors?  

I started with a school of 10 white clouds a few years ago, and I'm down to one.  He's gotten skinnier and just looks stressed out.  I've been treating for internal parasites because of some white poo with his guppy co-habitants, and I figured it couldn't hurt with him being skinny too, but I really think he's just stressed out.  What do other people do when you have a single lonely schooling fish who's lost all his friends?  I want to keep the tank warmer than white clouds like, so I'm not looking to get him a new school to hang with...but I'm feeling bad for him.

If he seems happy and is healthy, I wouldn't worry about him. I've got the same situation, only with a black skirt tetra who is the last survivor of a school I bought about 5.5 years ago. He seems fine, eats well and is active. I don't plan to get more of the species because I've been going a different direction with that tank, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Edited by Dawn T
typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Or see this as an excuse to set up another tank and buy more white clouds. 😋

That would definitely be the most fun option--and also the most unlikely to get "approved" by the budget police .  If he (the minnow, not the budget policeman😛) is still alive after the big new tropical tank is going for a while, maybe I'll work on starting a cold water one.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...