White spot appeared on guppy overnight - I’m a noobie to this stuff

TetraMan

My guppy had a white spot that is almost banded around the end of her tail show up overnight, I’m trying to identify it as it doesn’t really look like parasites but it’s also not fuzzy like the images of fungus I’ve seen online. She swims fine and still has a voracious appetite.

In terms of things I know have changed, I added some crushed coral in because I had some of what I think was stress related deaths before I introduced these new guppies (a male and female killed eachother, and the second female died a few days later after looking stressed) and people on the forum recommended coral based off my water parameters (soft water and low ph).

I added the crushed coral maybe 2 days ago with her and the male in the tank before introducing 2 new females, and did notice her rub on my anubias while I sprinkled it in, but she doesn’t do that commonly.

If you guys have an idea on what it is and treatment options I would love to hear it, if needed I can try to set up an old 1.5 gal tank to separate her, but it would be easier to treat in the main tank, as I would need to cycle the 1.5. But I have live plants and cherry shrimp922A67E8-AE5E-4716-9738-2C0EB821FAF2.jpeg.3df954ee2b0c0c81187cab172a2b7e22.jpeg

22E303BA-7F41-4362-B57A-E81701F56A11.jpeg

F15D4F59-D00C-4959-AB70-3DEE1E046AA9.jpeg

I would get the quarantine trio and treat the whole tank with 1 dose each for however many gallons you have, all at once, just to be safe. The white stuff doesn't sound exactly like fungus, but it could be, and rubbing against plants could be an early sign of gill flukes. If you notice either symptom getting worse in treatment or looking identifiable, you can continue with the necessary treatment.

I gotta say, the trio's been a lifesaver to have on hand for all those spur of the moment illnesses. Such a relief to know I have all the primary medications on hand in case someone's looking off and don't have to run out to a petsmart or something to see what less-than-ideal medicine they have in stock.

2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I would get the quarantine trio and treat the whole tank with 1 dose each for however many gallons you have, all at once, just to be safe. The white stuff doesn't sound exactly like fungus, but it could be, and rubbing against plants could be an early sign of gill flukes. If you notice either symptom getting worse in treatment or looking identifiable, you can continue with the necessary treatment.

I gotta say, the trio's been a lifesaver to have on hand for all those spur of the moment illnesses. Such a relief to know I have all the primary medications on hand in case someone's looking off and don't have to run out to a petsmart or something to see what less-than-ideal medicine they have in stock.

Thank you! I just bit the bullet and ran to the co op for the trio, should I just use one dose and let it sit and only treat new water from a water change, or apply some daily? This is my first time really dealing with fish illness haha

Other more experienced members might have different advice, but I'd do 1 dose each of all three at once just because it looks like you could be dealing with multiple things here. After a few days, if it's looking more like one thing or another, you can treat for that specifically. Good luck! Glad you got the trio!

• Like 1

I would do salt not the med trio. All though the med trio won't hurt and will only benefit your fish. The salt may hurt your plants so if you have a bucket or an empty tank put the guppy in their with adequate filtration and light. The Maracyn in the med trio will also help in this case. Because you already bought the med trio start out with that and if that doesn't work try salt at a ratio of 3tsp a gallon.

1 minute ago, James Black said:

I would do salt not the med trio. All though the med trio won't hurt and will only benefit your fish. The salt may hurt your plants so if you have a bucket or an empty tank put the guppy in their with adequate filtration and light. The Maracyn in the med trio will also help in this case. Because you already bought the med trio start out with that and if that doesn't work try salt at a ratio of 3tsp a gallon.

Ok, I considered salt as well, I’m thinking I’m going to do a full treatment of the maracyn and paracleanse and see if that resolves it since I’ve already started it, and if not I’ll separate her and try the salt method. I have an empty 1.5 gal setup I got as a gift so I’ll cycle it just in case I need it to quarantine her

8 minutes ago, TetraMan said:

Ok, I considered salt as well, I’m thinking I’m going to do a full treatment of the maracyn and paracleanse and see if that resolves it since I’ve already started it, and if not I’ll separate her and try the salt method. I have an empty 1.5 gal setup I got as a gift so I’ll cycle it just in case I need it to quarantine her

good idea. best of luck. 

• Thanks 1