Oscar Bottom Feeding Tank Mates

Augustjd27

Hello, I have an Oscar and 4 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's in a 125. They eat ravenously but any food that falls to the bottom they ignore. I'm looking for a good tank mate to cover the bottom third of the aquarium. I'm thinking something that would do well in a group of 6 or more would be nice, but I'd welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks!

There are species of pleco that are great for that, and they're big enough not to get eaten by oscars (I don't recall how big a jack dempsey gets) without making HUGE messes of their own. I think they're about the only bottom feeder I'd consider for tanks with big cichlids, other than maybe some of the mid-sized catfish (8"-12" like some of the Synodontis species). The plecos have the added bonus of being armor-plated, so they're less likely to be injured by an oscar picking at them (as they tend to do at times).

I suggest avoiding the common pleco and large catfish that get 18" or bigger, or you'll end up with a whole different mess. They make huge messes all their own. LOL

I'm not sure most (any?) cories would work. Unless you can get some big enough that oscars won't even try to swallow them. Are there any cories that get really big? I think the biggest species I've seen is only about 4", and that's small enough for a full-grown oscar to swallow. ?? In my experience when I had oscars, if it fit in that big old mouth of theirs, they WOULD eat it. One of mine, at about 12", ate a full grown albino red-tailed shark that was 6" long. I couldn't believe it! Given the size of the shark, I had assumed it'd be safe. So much for that theory....

1 hour ago, Dawn T said:

There are species of pleco that are great for that, and they're big enough not to get eaten by oscars (I don't recall how big a jack dempsey gets) without making HUGE messes of their own. I think they're about the only bottom feeder I'd consider for tanks with big cichlids, other than maybe some of the mid-sized catfish (8"-12" like some of the Synodontis species). The plecos have the added bonus of being armor-plated, so they're less likely to be injured by an oscar picking at them (as they tend to do at times).

I suggest avoiding the common pleco and large catfish that get 18" or bigger, or you'll end up with a whole different mess. They make huge messes all their own. LOL

I'm not sure most (any?) cories would work. Unless you can get some big enough that oscars won't even try to swallow them. Are there any cories that get really big? I think the biggest species I've seen is only about 4", and that's small enough for a full-grown oscar to swallow. ?? In my experience when I had oscars, if it fit in that big old mouth of theirs, they WOULD eat it. One of mine, at about 12", ate a full grown albino red-tailed shark that was 6" long. I couldn't believe it! Given the size of the shark, I had assumed it'd be safe. So much for that theory....

Any idea if a royal pleco would work. I've always loved their look and think that could make an attractive combo.