Cracked rim. Is it OK?

Cheryl P.

We bought this 220 gallon tank used a while ago and just noticed that one of the rear bottom corners has a cracked rim.  It's obvious someone tried to silicone it at some point.  The tank has been sitting in our garage full of water for the past month and a half or so and hasn't leaked.  We're having over friends to help us move it tomorrow and just noticed this.  Is it just cosmetic or should we be seriously concerned about the crack?  My husband thought maybe could run a metal strap around the bottom to help hold it together?  Is it worth trying?  I'd rather not have a 220 gallon disaster on my hands!

20210116_192644.jpg

20210116_192633.jpg

It's a gamble, my 55 gallon has the bottom rim broken on one of its short sides, and it's been running for two years for me without issue, and I don't know how long the previous owner used it while the rim was broken.

If it went for a month with no leaks I think I'd set it up and watch the crack to make sure it doesn't get bigger, but be ready to take it down if it degrades any more. The break on my 55 is a lot worse than that crack, but it also is in the middle instead of on a corner, and I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

We were thinking maybe ratchet strapping it together as tight as possible and using an epoxy like J-B Weld to bond it back together.  *sigh* We've already purchased everything to get the tank up and running, we were just waiting for the man power to move it into place.  So frustrating!

I had a 110 gallon tank with a broken frame.  I just put that side to the wall so the tank showed well 🙂.  My current tank is a 55 gallon that I removed the top rim without a issue.  I don't think the rims are actually doing that much, but this is just my Opinion.