My red cherry shrimp are mad sloooooooowwww.

Tedrock

Howdy Nerms.  I have a couple of 10 gallon RCS tanks and they are don’t move around much.  When the tanks were young these shrimp raced around often.  Now that they are six months old they are just kicking back. They are eating and slowly producing.  I have sponge filters and heat to 75.  Sand bottoms with Java moss and Malaysian drift wood.  Ph is 7.4 and GH is 6.  Ammonia is zero.  I feed a couple a shrimpee sinking pellets every two days.  I do water a change every 5 days about 20%.  Recently I did a substrate siphon cleaning (small python for nanos) to see if that would help do difference.

i just wonder if others have had this experience and can tell me if I am doing something wrong?  I have other tanks that are younger and much more active.

you thoughts?

many thanks, 

tedrock.

BBECA811-68C4-471F-8418-E5B143F451F3.jpeg

Edited by Tedrock

Beautiful looking shrimp by the way. I kinda of have a similar experience as you. I would't say my shrimp are sluggish but they usually just crawl around slowly everywhere at least for my older ones. The only time I see my shrimp swimming around everywhere is after a water change or the males looks for the females. If I had to guess, I would go with what you stated and you just have a colony that are much older. From that picture alone I would think you're doing everything right and more. Better than me forsure

Do you have a video of this slow movement? 

I have 2 generations of yellow shrimp (only 9 in total) and the younger ones always fly around more than the older ones, especially after water changes. My older shrimp mostly hang out as you described. Yours are a really deep color and look great!