40 gallon planted journal

Emika_B

Well, it's now about day 23.  The plants are all doing well, though I'd hoped the val would fill in a bit quicker.  I might add more plants (octopus, maybe?) and more root tabs.

The biggest thing I did was remove 1 piece each of mopani and cholla wood, the only ones that didn't have plants attached to them.  Both release tannic acid and I have a feeling with the large, dense pieces of mopani, it'll be leaching out for quite some time.  I don't mind the slight color, but it is messing with my pH.  I checked my tap water and it's only 1 test drop difference from the tank (using an API liquid test).  So, out go two pieces of wood in comes 4 pounds of aragonite.  I'm not happy with it, I don't like the striking white against the dark Fluval Stratum substrate and the wood.  But, if it's what it takes to make good water and therefore happy fish, I'll live.  I'd hoped to put it into a canister filter but that thing leaked like no one's business.  Oh well.

I had modded a fluidized filter with aragonite but it wasn't really enough to make a difference.  So, I put it back to its original purpose.  That means there are two fluidized filters and one small sponge filter for use in the hospital tank when needed.  I'm not happy with the bubble size (might mod the lid with some filter floss), but I do love watching the media tumble.

I gave my snails a treat.  I wanted to try out the Repashy food (boy, does it set fast!).  I dosed it out to a candy heart mold and after it had set I dropped 2 pieces into the tank.  The snails loved it and had eaten pretty much all of it by the time I went to bed.

Oh, and since I couldn't find an underwater camera, I did the next best thing and put a storage jar on a coral frag platform and dropped in a PTZ Wyze cam.  Unfortunately, it has a very wide field of view, so there's lots of reflections.  I put a stationary Wyze cam outside on the opposite side of the tank and there are no reflections.  My husband really wanted an in-tank camera, like an ROV, but those don't seem to exist.  Oh well, this'll do for now.

Here's the latest look:

Revised Closeup 1.jpg

Revised Closeup 2.jpg

Revised Tank 1.jpg

Revised Tank 2.jpg

Snails Eating Repashy.jpg

• Like 1

Woo hoo!  Finally seeing some movement with my KH!  With the liquid API KH test it's only 1 drop more but it's better than 2 drops total.  So, yay!  I'm still not happy with the glaring white against the dark browns but I can't argue with results.  I'm going to add more plants and give the tank another week or so.  If the numbers are still good, I'll get the quarantine tank up and running.  I've got a sponge filter in the tank for just this purpose, so I'd guess that in a week the quarantine tank will be ready for fish.  Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have some fish!  I picked up 5 dwarf neon rainbows from a local fish shop and 9 male guppies from Petsmart.  They've been through the first week of quarantine, only lost 2 of the guppies.  I think they were happy to get their first meal in about a week.  Now it's on to the 2 weeks of observation.

The main tank's been rather hazy lately, most likely particulate from when I added the aragonite.  It just never quite settled after that.  I picked up an internal filter to run filter floss and Purigen to clear things up.  It's funny, but I think the Malaysian trumpet snails like the fast flow from the new filter.  The plants are doing well, though I'll probably add some root tabs soon.  They're loving the Easy Green so that's good.

Oh, a week or two ago I added an octopus plant from the Co-op and was happy to find a few floating plant bits.  They've been replicating but not insanely so that's good.  I have it corralled in an air line loop; hope it cooperates!

• Like 2

This is way late...I actually started reading this because I have the same tank!  I thought I'd add: have you tried testing the KH of your tap water?  I think Fluval Stratum is a buffering substrate. That would mean it strips KH from the water column, which is not a problem at all actually.  It will buffer your water against pH swings.  My aqua soil functions this way in my existing 17-gallon, which is almost 3 months old.  The KH of my water is 0-1 degrees, always.  It's 2 out of the tap (and my GH is also around 2).  I have NO problems EVER with pH swing...and I use pressurized CO2.  My pH ranges from 6.0 (possibly a little lower...that's the lowest on the API scale) to 6.4, but it's always very stable.  It's 6.4 after a water change and steadily drops to 6.0 over the course of a week or so.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that bit about the Fluval Stratum.  I've seen a ton of people keep trying to raise their KH when they're using aquasoils that are literally designed to remove KH from the water and hold it in the soil...I don't know why they insist on that...the buffering is just the aquasoil doing its job.  So, if your tap water has a measurable KH but your tank water doesn't, maybe do a bit of research and see if Fluval Stratum is a "buffering" substrate.  If I'm right and it is, you don't need the aragonite or crushed coral (in fact, they'll just wear out your Fluval Stratum faster). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jess said:

This is way late...I actually started reading this because I have the same tank!  I thought I'd add: have you tried testing the KH of your tap water?  I think Fluval Stratum is a buffering substrate. That would mean it strips KH from the water column, which is not a problem at all actually.  It will buffer your water against pH swings.  My aqua soil functions this way in my existing 17-gallon, which is almost 3 months old.  The KH of my water is 0-1 degrees, always.  It's 2 out of the tap (and my GH is also around 2).  I have NO problems EVER with pH swing...and I use pressurized CO2.  My pH ranges from 6.0 (possibly a little lower...that's the lowest on the API scale) to 6.4, but it's always very stable.  It's 6.4 after a water change and steadily drops to 6.0 over the course of a week or so.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that bit about the Fluval Stratum.  I've seen a ton of people keep trying to raise their KH when they're using aquasoils that are literally designed to remove KH from the water and hold it in the soil...I don't know why they insist on that...the buffering is just the aquasoil doing its job.  So, if your tap water has a measurable KH but your tank water doesn't, maybe do a bit of research and see if Fluval Stratum is a "buffering" substrate.  If I'm right and it is, you don't need the aragonite or crushed coral (in fact, they'll just wear out your Fluval Stratum faster). 

Jess - I’ve tested my tap and it’s maybe 2 degrees for KH using the API liquid tests.  The tank’s about 3 degrees KH now and though I’d prefer a bit more I’ll run with it.  I’m not sure if Fluval Stratum is a buffering substrate but their website says it, “supports slightly acidic pH and enhances water clarity.”  I chose it because it’s lightweight and dark in color.

Admittedly, I never paid much attention to GH and KH in my previous tanks but I also didn’t have any major issues.  We’ll see how this one goes.  The fish in the quarantine tank seem happy enough; I’ve been using the main tank water so they’d be used to it when the time comes to move them over.  Not sure I’ll do it that way for the next batch of fish, though.  They might just get tap water.

1 hour ago, Emika_B said:

though I’d prefer a bit more I’ll run with it

Ok I did some research myself and, yes, your substrate is buffering your water and lowering pH a little.  It's fine - it was decided to do this and there is no point in fighting it.  May I ask why you would prefer a higher KH?

Almost all the videos and advice you see assumes you're using something called "inert substrate" - basically, gravel or sand (or Eco Complete, which is like an inert gravel + fertilizer, or the Flourish substrates).  So when they say, "Low KH will cause pH swings," that does NOT apply to you and me (people using "aqua soils," that is, a substrate that lowers your pH and your KH).  Aqua soils (e.g. Fluval Stratum, ADA Amazonia, UNS Contra Soil, nilogC Platinum, the Dennerle one...there are a lot of them) are "high tech" substrates that are designed to lower your pH and "soften your water (that is, lower KH).  It's because they are decided to help plants grow, and these are the "optimal" conditions for most plants: soft, slightly acidic water.  

The aragonite and stuff you're adding isn't hurting anything.  But it is exhausting your soil faster than it otherwise would.  I don't think that's a big problem for you...whenever the soil becomes depleted, you'll be fine because your tap water's KH is very close to what the aragonite+buffering substrate is yielding in your tank.

I know it sounds counterintuitive when every video you see says "your KH should be in this range, your GH in this range, pH in this range," etc., but if you could ask Cory in person I am certain he could explain aqua soils even better than me.  I was in your EXACT situation just 3 months ago...I started adding baking soda to my water to raise the KH and luckily the same day I made a post on plantedtank.net asking about it, and they told me, "Don't bother trying to raise your KH...the soil sucks it out of the water...it's fine...your pH will stay stable, just let the soil do its thing," and they were totally right.  My tank is super low maintenance: pH = 6.0-6.4, KH = 0, GH = 4 (I use Seachem Equilibrium, 1/2 tsp to 5 gallons of water each week during my water change). My rain water values (I don't use tap, I use rain water in my tanks) are: pH 6.8, KH = 2, GH = 1.

Anyway, this is a super long post to say: your tank looks awesome!  You should post some updated photos with the fish!  And don't worry about your KH or pH. Your substrate is trying to do what it was designed to do, which is to make your water soft and slightly acidic. Low KH, in your case, is not a problem.

Edited by Jess
  • Like 1

Jess - thanks for the info.  I hadn’t planned on ‘chasing parameters’ but ended up doing it anyway.  It was tiring.  After a while I said, ‘eh, let it do what it will.’  The water seems to be in good condition, safe for fish, and that’s what really matters.  My finned friends still have a bit longer for quarantine and I’m dealing with a bit of an algae bloom.  But as soon as they’re in their new home, there will be photos.  Then it’s on to getting the next batch of fish, probably a few more dwarf neon rainbows and 10 or so rummy nose tetras.  That’ll give me three schools - male guppies, dwarf neon rainbows and rummy noses.  I’ll probably add dwarf cories after that and either a pleco or a bunch of Otos.

While I wait for all of that, now I’m researching doing a 5 gallon opae ula shrimp tank.  Fun!

Day 49 and I have algae soup.  I've kept a number of tanks over the years and never had algae soup before.  Kinda neat, actually.  Not pretty, but neat.  I got a UV sterilizer on Amazon so we'll see what that does.  The instructions say 4 - 8 hours per day, so I'll probably do 8 hours for a couple of days and ramp down until the water's clear.  I'm also going to set my lights to 'cloudy day' and see if that helps.

The fish have 1 more week of non-meds then 1 week of ParaCleanse.  Then it's into the big tank.  I've been alternating feeding them Repashy, Easy Fry food and frozen brine shrimp.  They greet me at the front of the tank every morning, such little pigs they are.  I've lost 3 of the guppies, but not sure to what.  No white spots, fungus, red gills or overly round bellies.  I'm not seeing any white poos so I'm pretty sure it's not a parasite.  Could just be 'weak' fish.  But that's what quarantine's for right - to make sure only healthy fish get into the big tank.

Here are a couple of pics of my finned friends in quarantine, algae soup and the sterilizer.

Fish 1.jpg

Fish 2.jpg

Green Water Day 1.jpg

UV Model.jpg

UV Sterlizer Exploded.jpg

UV Sterlizer Whole.jpg

UV Sterlizer.jpg

OceanTruth - Thanks!  I had been debating on keeping just guppies - they're colorful, very active and just plain old fun.  I look forward to the challenges this tank brings.  I've never kept dwarf neon rainbows, never had algae water and never done fluidized filters.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the algae soup cleared up nicely.  I'd intended to take daily pictures but was distracted with my dog (he's fine - recovering from torn ACL surgery).  I'd say the first two days there wasn't much change, but from then on each day was clearer.  Took probably one week to fully clear, running the UV sterilizer 8 hours per day.  Here's the tank about 12 days after starting the UV treatment.

15 Mar 2021 2.jpg

15 Mar 2021 1.jpg

• Like 1

There are now 5 dwarf neon rainbows and 2 male guppies living in the big tank.  Well, that's not entirely true.  There are 3 female and 2 male dwarf neon rainbows and the two males just can't seem to leave each other alone.  So now one lives in the quarantine tank.  The guppies, I'd started with 9 but only 2 survived quarantine.  Unfortunately, these two pester each other, so 1 lives in the quarantine tank.

My current quarantine tank is a bit of a sad story.  I'd picked up 15 rummy nose tetras and 5 more dwarf neon rainbows.  The neon rainbows are just fine and look healthy.  Of the 15 rummies, only 4 are still alive.  So this morning I did a complete water change and used water from the big tank (tested the parameters first) just in case it was an ammonia issue.  I couldn't rely on testing the quarantine water as I'd started the med trio the day before and that makes the readings unreliable.  I'll give it a few days, test again, then start the med trio.  There are two things I wouldn't do again - buy rummy nose tetras from that shop (there were a few not-so-good-looking ones in the tank) and test the water before starting the med trio.  I guess I'll see if any of the rummies survive quarantine and if they do I'll see if any other shops have them so I can have a nice big school.

2 Apr 2021 1.jpg

2 Apr 2021 2.jpg

2 Apr 2021 3.jpg

2 Apr 2021 4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Time for an update!  The tank is doing well, very stable parameters.  It’s been very warm lately, ambient in the mid to high 80s so the tank fan has been running nearly all day every day to keep the water below 80.  I’ve gone to 82 a few times but the fans are working very well.  Unfortunately, that also means a lot of evaporation, so I’m topping off a gallon or two every few days.  Ah, the joys of the tropics!

The crazy news is I have baby fish.  Not sure if they’re dwarf neon rainbows or rummy nose tetras since both schools were in the quarantine tank at the same time.  I wasn’t encouraging breeding but I suppose the heat triggered them - it regularly hit at least 84 for a stretch.  Didn’t realize I had babies until I’d moved the fish from quarantine to the main tank.  I was getting the quarantine tank ready for another round of fish when I saw what I thought were bubbles where there shouldn’t be bubbles.  I watched and sure enough - baby fish!  I freaked out because I’d already siphoned off a lot of gunk from the bottom of the tank before I saw them.  Then I realized they were too tiny to eat anything I had on hand.  So, a crash course in making infusoria (still not sure I got it right).

So now the babies are in a Ziss breeder box in the main tank with a moss mat and a few floating stems of pogostemon octopus.  I picked up a packet of Hikari First Bites while I wait for the infusoria to do its thing.

Of course, now I want to try to actually breed the rummies.  Might give it a shot.

I’ll post picture soon.

• Like 1