Otocinclus cocama quarantine questions

Tyler

So I've just ordered some otocinclus cocama and not sure how I should do quarantine when they get here. I have a 20 long I set up just for them but I want to medicate them when I receive them. Only thing is the 20 long is a planted tank and I don't want to medicate in that one. I do have a 10 gallon well established with some regular otocinclus I could put in there to medicate. Don't mind using medication in that one as the plants could be moved easily. The only thing is with these fish their very sensitive to any kind of human interaction and tank changes so I don't want to give them and me the added stress of trying to net them in a month or so after treatment. I feel I would experience losses after transfer and 5 of these cost me over 100 dollars with 40 of it being overnight shipping. What do you guys suggest I do? Treat in the 10 gallon and move later, or treat them in the 20, or don't treat them unless they fall Ill as they will be the only fish in the 20 gallon. These are very valuable to me and any losses would be upsetting as I also would like to breed them. 

I never medicate fish when I quarintine unless they show signs of a illness. So if it was me, I would just put them in the 20 and forget about medicating. With that being said safer is always the better option. I beleive the med trio is plant safe, so I beleive your plants would be alright. Don't quote me on this as I have never tried this myself. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, James Black said:

I never medicate fish when I quarintine unless they show signs of a illness. So if it was me, I would just put them in the 20 and forget about medicating. With that being said safer is always the better option. I beleive the med trio is plant safe, so I beleive your plants would be alright. Don't quote me on this as I have never tried this myself. 

If I did medicate I would probably just do the one for parasites unless I see open wounds or white spots. I have API general cure as that's what was available to me locally when I needed it quick. 

Personal opinion maybe, but you should AT LEAST deworm otos. They spend their lives with their noses in every nook and cranny of every holding tank they come in, so the odds of them not sucking up every last parasite the other fish that have lived in there have pooped out is slim.

My last round of cocama were fine with Prazipro, and I got all four through a month with no issues. Think they got med trio’ed too because we could still get those here at the time.

My last round of vitattus I got 17 of 19 through a month in a new uncycled bare bottom tank by feeding judiciously and changing water as appropriate. Both got three rounds of prazi, which is about the only med I can still get up here.

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 1

That's kind of where my mind is as well but considering the extra stress of moving them I may just deworm in the 20 gallon and hope all goes well. Would be cheaper to replace all the plants than it is the fish. 

13 minutes ago, AdamTill said:

Personal opinion maybe, but you should AT LEAST deworm otos. They spend their lives with their noses in every nook and cranny of every holding tank they come in, so the odds of them not sucking up every last parasite the other fish that have lived in there have pooped out is slim.

My last round of cocama were fine with Prazipro, and I got all four through a month with no issues. Think they got med trio’ed too because we could still get those here at the time.

My last round of vitattus I got 17 of 19 through a month in a new uncycled bare bottom tank by feeding judiciously and changing water as appropriate. Both got three rounds of prazi, which is about the only med I can still get up here.

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

That's kind of where my mind is as well but considering the extra stress of moving them I may just deworm in the 20 gallon and hope all goes well. Would be cheaper to replace all the plants than it is the fish. 

True, though I’ve never had med trio and/or wormer affect my plants