I'll go first...

I would do a nano asian themed aquarium. After seeing the co-op video of Jimmy's fish tanks I wanted to setup a heavily planted rimless 5 gallon. I want it to be kind of an "asain" themed. As far as plants I would do... 

Hydro Pinnatifida

Hornwort

Rotala Indica

Crypt Wendetii Red

Red Root Floater/ Amazon Frogbit

Java Fern

I know not all of these plants are from asia, but most are

As far as fish I would do...

-Sparkling Gourami

-Celestrial Pearl Danio

-And possibly some kind of shrimp

Edited by James Black

Probably a temperate forest type tank, using java moss as conifer trees attached to some wood. Then have just some dirt on the bottom, with some shards of wood in it. Maybe some short plants on the bottom too. Then maybe a few pebbles thrown in randomly. A few spots of algae here and there might make it look pretty good. As for stocking:

- 1 betta (Who doesn't want to see a huge betta floating towards you from behind a tree next time you go outside???)

- A small colony of cherries shrimp to keep the algae fairly at bay and to add some red to the green. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1

I would do a dozen Ember Tetras. 

A Crypt garden in the foreground, a piece of driftwood in the middle with Anubias Nana Petite attached, with some Rosette Swords mixed in the middle of it.

In the background, I'd go with a couple Dwarf Aquarium Lilys mixed in with Bacopa Carolinia, Jungle Vallisneria, and Red Flame Sword.

Lastly, maybe some small-ish rocks to go sporatically around where you see fit, near the drift wood.

• Like 1

The week before last I had just such a dilemma, a small tank and conflicting urges. I had been reading the excellent new George Farmer book 'Aquascaping' and was thinking about a Farmeresque aquascape.

image.png.2e1165196d4e678549e95ef0906eb1d3.png

But I also reflected on just how valuable and interesting my pygmy sunfish were so instead of the formally aquascaped nano aquarium I went for the eco-zoo wonderland fry raising nano tank.

First I added Daphnia and green water and let it percolate for a week.

Then on Monday of this week I added nano versions of a nano fish, that is, I added newly fertilized pygmy sunfish eggs.

image.png.290303235e3de3f14c496b2be52036

As of today, I have a little tiny aquarium with little tiny invertebrates and little tiny fish.

• Like 3

I use them for fishless experiments, quarantines etc.

Currently thinking about 10 gallon, crushed red/black lava rock substrate, Anubia, and similar plants.  I might go for the Avatar look with a hanging rock or two, or just a specimen rock or plant.  There are going to be a lot of contrasts, so I won't give the fish any thought until enviroment is set up. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, James Black said:

As far as fish I would do...

-Sparkling Gourami

-Celestrial Pearl Danio

-And possibly some kind of shrimp

You read my mind! I'm even thinking of a much bigger tank with sparklers and CPD being the friends of some larger fish. Glad to hear I'm not off-base thinking how cool those two would look together.

I already have a 10g betta tank and a 5g pea puffer tank and both are great. But I think if I had one more nano tank I'd try a brackish, unfiltered "supershrimp" tank with macroalgae and try to breed my favorite nerites in the process.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

My marineland portrait 5g has been great for my pea puffer so far. Definitely recommend (though I definitely recommend boiling any mopani wood you put in it. I boiled mine and it's still leaching tannins months later!)

PXL_20210116_180444916.jpg

Nice setup! I was thinking of buying that tank for a shrimp tank until I relized it came with a internal filter (aka not shrimp safe)

• Like 1

If I had an empty 10 gallon I'd do a shrimp tank with some snails. Probably get some frogbit for the top, and then lots of big, fluffy stem plants. Maybe a nice bit of spiderwood for decoration among various sized rocks. Probably would do plant-only filtration with just an airstone.

Man that sounds fun. Now I want one.

5 hours ago, James Black said:

Nice setup! I was thinking of buying that tank for a shrimp tank until I relized it came with a internal filter (aka not shrimp safe)

Thanks! Yeah you could try twist-tieing some sponge material to the inlet but that is surprisingly hard and frustrating (from my experience, back when I was worried about snails getting into the back room). For shrimp, better to get a bare-bones 5- or 10-gallon with a lid and a light and add sponge filtration as needed.

6 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Thanks! Yeah you could try twist-tieing some sponge material to the inlet but that is surprisingly hard and frustrating (from my experience, back when I was worried about snails getting into the back room). For shrimp, better to get a bare-bones 5- or 10-gallon with a lid and a light and add sponge filtration as needed.

exactly what I was thinking

• Like 1

I think i would try a bonsai tree driftwood, with split open marimo moss balls as foliage to look like a real life bonsai tree. For stocking i would go with cherry shrimp and neons for some color splash and a couple of zebra nerite snails, or maybe ramshorn snails. I love the shape of their shell

2 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

I think i would try a bonsai tree driftwood, with split open marimo moss balls as foliage to look like a real life bonsai tree. For stocking i would go with cherry shrimp and neons for some color splash and a couple of zebra nerite snails, or maybe ramshorn snails. I love the shape of their shell

I have been wanting to do a scape like that for a LONG time. Only problem is that I dont trust my artistic skills to attacth the moss to the tree.