Just in: Black Worms, Rainbow Darters . . . a great day!

Fish Folk

Rainbow Darter pair came in today. Gotta say . . . Jonah's Aquarium did an amazing job packing, shipping, and educating. After keeping hundreds of tropical fish, and a few temperate fish, this dip of the toe into small, cold-water native fish is so refreshing. They behave a bit like a goby / gudgeon . . . but are in the perch family. Really intelligent looking. We rarely name our fish . . . but these definitely got named already! They're now in this riffle tank (this clip was filmed yesterday before adding the pair)

Also got 1/4 lb. of black worms for the first time. Holy moly! Our fish love them. I seriously met some of our fish as if "for the first time" when they started going to town on them. There were serious tug-of-war matches between the koi angels . . . and the corydoras were hillarious burying their heads into the sand to suck these things out. I'm pretty sure the Acaras could become tank busters on these. And the Discus . . . wow! They got really lively! The Angelfish fry here had already eaten a lot before I finally took this clip . . . but they're cleaning up!

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.50.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.50.45 PM.png

• Like 1

I love when I can get some live blackworms to feed my fish! I went to a store a couple hours away from me last weekend and they had some, I bought a half pound, it will last me a couple weeks. I use them to condition some of my corydoras before trying to spawn them, and my leopoldi angels love them. I have heard of a few local fish clubs that get several pounds of blackworms in every month and sell them at club meetings, and I was trying to get something like that set up last year before the pandemic stopped club meetings. 

• Like 1

I can't seem to find live black worms where I live. I have checked every local fish store (3) and none of them sell it. I'm just assuming they dont have them at big box pet stores, but I so want to try and feed that. Where do you get them, from a big box store or just a mom and pops shop?

5 minutes ago, James Black said:

I can't seem to find live black worms where I live. I have checked every local fish store (3) and none of them sell it. I'm just assuming they dont have them at big box pet stores, but I so want to try and feed that. Where do you get them, from a big box store or just a mom and pops shop?

I order them from Eastern Aquatics out of Pennsylvania and they ship them overnight. The best local mom and pop shop in my area carries them also.

• Like 2