Cherry Shrimp Grading

JaredL

18 minutes ago, JaredL said:

@JettsPapa thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about how much I make as I never intended to have this many in the first place(8 turned into over 100 in ~6 months). Just wanted to be more knowledgeable about what I have.

I see.  I wish I could give you a grade, but I've only been keeping them for about a year.  Someone else might be able to, but to do so they might need pictures of them closer up.

By the way, I later realized that when I said yesterday how much they'd bring here that wouldn't mean much without also saying what they retail for, since that can vary widely between locations.  The store that buys mine for $1.00 store credit sells them for $2.99.  I get $1.50 for my blues and they retail for $3.99.

So question for anyone who does know more about grading cherry shrimp. Some of my females are a nice even red, but a little translucent. I would grade them "fire". Some are solid red and opaque. I would call them "painted fire" Some have a very distinct lighter red opaque stripe down their back. I have seen this as a line in yellow shrimp, but to me it looks like a fault in red shrimp. Thoughts? 

I think I will cull them--some are very dark, some are very light, it seems like it's own pattern gene, not related to color intensity.

Edited by Brandy

11 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

Wait, is Rilli actually more desirable than Fire or Painted Fire? Based on the above pic, I definitely have a lot of Fire shrimp, and Rilli shrimp that I "culled" but putting in my betta tank. But my betta doesn't touch them.

I think desirable is in the eye of the beholder. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Brandy said:

So question for anyone who does know more about grading cherry shrimp. Some of my females are a nice even red, but a little translucent. I would grade them "fire". Some are solid red and opaque. I would call them "painted fire" Some have a very distinct lighter red opaque stripe down their back. I have seen this as a line in yellow shrimp, but to me it looks like a fault in red shrimp. Thoughts? 

I think I will cull them--some are very dark, some are very light, it seems like it's own pattern gene, not related to color intensity.

Some of my red shrimp have the "racing stripe", and I've never heard that it makes them less desirable.  However, as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have one or two in my cull tank that are chocolate colored, with a sorta tan stripe down their back.  I like that, and have considered trying to isolate the color and pattern.

@JettsPapa yes that! "racing stripe". I was thinking instead of culling to the acaras, I can cull to a store if most people consider them fine. They are really bright sometimes. Kinda a lousy pic but this is an opaque female with the stripe.

PXL_20210123_012830874.jpg.f26ac06ad25a7e803304f155d9849f0d.jpg

EDIT: Here is more the look I want:

PXL_20210123_013026822.jpg.2d51e8a80318ce50c72ea00715fdf3d8.jpg

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 2

I've always felt that a colony was higher grade if you have color in the legs and if the males have a solid color. I actually prefer the racing stripe pattern. The more contrast the better in my opinion. I guess there is something to being able to produce a consistent solid color, but the variety and uniqueness that come out of the lesser grades is always interesting.

20210122_202254.jpg.3bd2618115836e46b9e3db67de27e8af.jpg

Edited by Aubrey
  • Like 2