Aquarium "sitters".

Andy Cooperman

Hi. I'm wondering if there are any members who might know of reliable "fish sitters" for those times (when they return at some point) that my wife and I leave town. We have a 90 gallon with mainly discus and a smaller 20 with pea puffers. Someone trustworthy and dependable. We are, of course, willing to pay. Thanks in advance! And if this is not the proper place to post, my apologises.

I think you'll have better luck looking in your area specifically for pet sitters. Craigslist is a pretty easy place to find people, and there might be bulletin boards up at local libraries, cafes, the post office. If you don't have those, I think any trustworthy friend or family member who lives nearby can follow simple instructions for a well-maintained aquarium for a few weeks. I wouldn't ask them to do water tests or water changes, but simple feedings and status updates should be easy enough.

If you're going to be gone for like a month or more, you might want to ask you LFS if they know anyone (or employ anyone) who could do more involved maintenance tasks.

16 hours ago, Andy Cooperman said:

Hi. I'm wondering if there are any members who might know of reliable "fish sitters" for those times (when they return at some point) that my wife and I leave town.

If I were only to be gone for a week or so I wouldn't have anyone come over. Fish can go at least a week without being fed with no ill consequences. Generally the safest route is not to have a 'fish sitter'.