I'm setting up a 55 gal soon and want to combine HOB and sponge filters. Would 2 nano HOB and a large sponge filter do the job? My fish prefer low flow so I thought that might be a winning combo, thoughts?

2 hours ago, JAM said:

I'm setting up a 55 gal soon and want to combine HOB and sponge filters. Would 2 nano HOB and a large sponge filter do the job? My fish prefer low flow so I thought that might be a winning combo, thoughts?

why do don't you do just one spongefilter I beleive the Aquarium Co-op Large Sponge Filter would do the trick. All though if you still wanted to the combo you could do:

-Aqua Clear HOB or Seachem Tidal 35 HOB as well as the aquarium co-op large sponge filter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAM said:

Curious about why you want to combine a HOB and sponge? Nothing wrong with that, just curious. Why not two sponges, or two HOBs? 

If you really need low flow, I would personally go with two sponge filters (large Aquarium Co-Op) - one in each back corner.

• Like 1

That is sorta how my aquarium has evolved into. I have a 55 gallon nano tank and wanted low flow too. I started with 2 aqueon quiet flow 20 hob filters (they are rated for up to 30 gallons a piece.) I also put sponge prefilters on the intake tubes to lessen the flow and keep my hob’s performing in top shape. The original intention was to ensure enough filtration and water movement without smacking my little fish around with a heavy undertow. It wasnt until i discovered sponge filters after my tank was setup, and my airstones started to clog up ( cue the intrigue of a never clog airstone 🤔) i purchased 1 to test it out. My biofiltration has never been so robust. I still keep my hob’s running for a little extra mechanical filtration and the carbon inside helps polish the water a bit. But lets be honest, my best mechanical filtration is my gravel vac. Even with multiple filters and filter types running, at best it may reduce frequency of water changes, but will never replace a water change, or the old trusty gravel vac. 

Edited by Will Billy
Spelling