Fry in new shipment - quarantine question

Gloryview Farm

Hi all.  I got my guppies yesterday - 8 females. and was surprised to find tiny fry in the bag too!!  looks to be 8 or 9 of them.  everyone is in the quarantine tank right now and I'm trying to figure out what to do.  I did have one female die, pretty sure it may have been the one that gave birth, since it seems there was damage to her stomach area.  but everyone else is doing fine.  Should I pull the fry out and then go about treating the adults?  I feel the babies need frequent feedings, safety from adults and water changes, while med trio would not be conducive to this.  Since all are in my quarantine tank now I would have to figure something out for the fry. Should I just figure on feeding fairly heavy for now with lots of water changes until the fry are bigger?  any suggestions on how to get 'safe haven' from adults?  the quarantine tank is actually a 7 gal container, with heater and filter.  I do have some floating plants in and one medium artificial silk plant, but really not enough cover, though the adults do not seem to be going after the fry at this point, that could change, right?

thanks all!  any advice to this newbie is appreciated, and to say that I am over the moon with the little surprise packages would be an understatment!

22 minutes ago, Gloryview Farm said:

8 females. and was surprised to find tiny fry in the bag too

Congratulations with your first babies :) Same thing happened to me too. Ordered my first guppies, got several females with fry in their bags. I hurriedly set up a small fry-only tank, just 2.5 gallons, with a tiny filter, heater and light. It was much easier to make sure the babies get all the food and none of the parental predation there. I fed five to six times a day, live baby brine shrimp, egg yolk, powdered flakes, frozen cyclops, etc. Light on for at least 12 hours a day. Daily water changes.  My tiny tank ended up to hold 200+ babies after a couple of months. It was a lot of fun to watch them grow and color up. :)

Me, I wouldn't do anything special, just make sure the food is crumbled up nice and fine. I would feed (lightly if they're in quarantine) once or twice a day as opposed to the "feed nothing for 4-5 days" approach. Adults could handle it but fry not so much. Just keep a close eye on your levels and spot clean when you feed.

Some fry may not make it, but some might, and don't worry, there will be PLENTY more where that came from in short order. My thinking is that, if the adults are carrying something, the fry probably are, too, so treat em all at once and get it over with. 

• Like 1

thanks all. I will monitor the situation as is for now.  I reminded myself that there was no huge rush as they are in quarantine (apart from the three boys waiting for them....)  for now I think I will watch everyone closely, and as long as the fry seem safe and I don't see anything worrisome in the adults, I will feed and water change normally.  When things (me, mostly) have settled in and seem good, I will treat then.  an extra week in the 7 gal quarantine wont harm anything I'm guessing.  And I certainly do need to learn patience!  good timing.  I do love sitting and stareing at the tanks to see what is happening, and even though the container distorts the view somewhat, I will still enjoy sitting....