What algae eater is best for my tank??

What algae eater is best for my tank??  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What algae eater is best for my tank??

• Small pleco of some sort
    • Some type of a loach (I was thinking hillstream)
    • Snail(s)
    • Otocinclus
    • Shrimp
    • Other (comment below)

Hi all, I have a tank that needs help. By help I mean an algae eater. There are so many choices, which one should I go for?

Info about the tank I need an algae eater for:

it's a 20 gal long tank

It's planted

It's cycled

Current fish:

6 sterbai cory

8 harlequin rasboras

1 very peaceful male betta

Edited by BettasAreSuperior

HI @BettasAreSuperior

It really depends upon the type of algae.  Hair algae? Brown Algae? Soft green algae?  Some types of algae are not eaten by fish, shrimp, or snails like green spot algae, green dust algae, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). 

In my tanks I have a Siamese (NOT CHINESE) Algae eater (AKA SAE / Crossocheilus oblongus) for hair-type algae; Otocinclus for brown algae (diatoms). -Roy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seattle_Aquarist said:

HI @BettasAreSuperior

It really depends upon the type of algae.  Hair algae? Brown Algae? Soft green algae?  Some types of algae are not eaten by fish, shrimp, or snails like green spot algae, green dust algae, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). 

In my tanks I have a Siamese (NOT CHINESE) Algae eater (AKA SAE / Crossocheilus oblongus) for hair-type algae; Otocinclus for brown algae (diatoms). -Roy

Hey @Seattle_Aquarist

The type of algae I have is cyano bacteria, green dust algae, brown diatom algae, and regular green slimy algae. IKR, I need help, lol. Based off of this, which one do you think would be best for my tank?

57 minutes ago, James Black said:

I wouldn't do shrimp the betta may look at it as a snack. Snails would be a good idea and so would some ottocinlous. Bristlenose Pleco would be an alirght choice. Persanolly I would do the ottos.

Even if the betta is really peaceful (the rasboras sometimes steal food from her but she doesn't mind, she never harasses her tankmates) will the betta still see the shrimp as a snack? I think I am considering the otocinclus or hillstream loaches. One of them and 1 nerite as well. 

3 minutes ago, BettasAreSuperior said:

Even if the betta is really peaceful (the rasboras sometimes steal food from her but she doesn't mind, she never harasses her tankmates) will the betta still see the shrimp as a snack? I think I am considering the otocinclus, hillstream loaches, or a nerite snail. (just one or two, not all)

I think it really depends on the betta. A good test is to buy a cheap cherry shrimp and make sure the betta isn't a shrimp eater before investing in a bunch of cherry shrimp. All though I would be surprised if she didn't eat the shrimp babies.

1 hour ago, BettasAreSuperior said:

Hey @Seattle_Aquarist

The type of algae I have is cyano bacteria, green dust algae, brown diatom algae, and regular green slimy algae. IKR, I need help, lol. Based off of this, which one do you think would be best for my tank?

Hi @BettasAreSuperior

Wow, two of those types of algae are really tough.  For diatoms (brown algae) just add 1 Otocinclus per 10 gallons, they will clean up the diatoms in a couple of weeks.  If the start to look hungry put 1/2 of an algae wafer in just before lights out.  They will find it.

Green Dust Algae (GDA) is a tough one.  Some folks say it is due to low levels of nitrogen but I haven't really seen that correlation.  Some say it is due to nutrients in the water column......maybe.  Some say too much light......also maybe.  I just wipe it off when I do my weekly water changes.  A Mr. Eraser (plain, no detergents etc) does a good job cleaning it off. 

Cyanobacteria (BGA) can be a real pain; it is part bacteria and part plant / algae.   First I make sure I am keeping up with my water changes (50% once a week).  Then I make sure I am keeping my filter clean so there isn't a lot of detritus and waste build-up in it.  Also it ensures I have maximum flow (water circulation) in the tank.  If it is just a couple of spots of BGA I turn off all filtration.   Turn my lights on high for 20 minutes or more so the BGA is at full photosynthesis, Then I spot treat the BGA locations with hydrogen peroxide( H2O2;  (3% concentration) in an oral syringe.  When I dose the BGA with H2O2 the BGA starts to fizz after a few minutes.  When I fizzing stops I turn my filters back on and return the light level to normal.  I start with the worst location or two.  I don't exceed 1.5 ml per gallon per treatment.  One treatment per 24 hours. After the worst two locations are done I move to the next worst spot.   Hope this helps! -Roy

14 hours ago, James Black said:

I think it really depends on the betta. A good test is to buy a cheap cherry shrimp and make sure the betta isn't a shrimp eater before investing in a bunch of cherry shrimp. All though I would be surprised if she didn't eat the shrimp babies.

14 hours ago, Brandy said:

My betta does not eat shrimp. He is too fat and slow, and he is a pellet addict. He will steal their food tho.

After @James Black's post and after @Brandy's post I am not sure the shrimp will be happy and content. Besides. the rasboras and corydoras are two other "predators". I think the shrimp are off the list. Thanks though guys! 🙂

13 hours ago, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @BettasAreSuperior

Wow, two of those types of algae are really tough.  For diatoms (brown algae) just add 1 Otocinclus per 10 gallons, they will clean up the diatoms in a couple of weeks.  If the start to look hungry put 1/2 of an algae wafer in just before lights out.  They will find it.

Green Dust Algae (GDA) is a tough one.  Some folks say it is due to low levels of nitrogen but I haven't really seen that correlation.  Some say it is due to nutrients in the water column......maybe.  Some say too much light......also maybe.  I just wipe it off when I do my weekly water changes.  A Mr. Eraser (plain, no detergents etc) does a good job cleaning it off. 

Cyanobacteria (BGA) can be a real pain; it is part bacteria and part plant / algae.   First I make sure I am keeping up with my water changes (50% once a week).  Then I make sure I am keeping my filter clean so there isn't a lot of detritus and waste build-up in it.  Also it ensures I have maximum flow (water circulation) in the tank.  If it is just a couple of spots of BGA I turn off all filtration.   Turn my lights on high for 20 minutes or more so the BGA is at full photosynthesis, Then I spot treat the BGA locations with hydrogen peroxide( H2O2;  (3% concentration) in an oral syringe.  When I dose the BGA with H2O2 the BGA starts to fizz after a few minutes.  When I fizzing stops I turn my filters back on and return the light level to normal.  I start with the worst location or two.  I don't exceed 1.5 ml per gallon per treatment.  One treatment per 24 hours. After the worst two locations are done I move to the next worst spot.   Hope this helps! -Roy

Hey @Seattle_Aquarist

I agree. From my research GDA and BGA are tough algaes to beat and most fish, shrimp, snails won't eat those algaes. Yeah so far I have been scurbbing it off with filter floss and aquarium safe foam. That procedure for BGA was super helpful! I am gonna try it out. It's mostly on my driftwood. There are a few spots left, wish me luck!! (I will try your prcedure today and let you know how it goes)

Thoguh Brown Diatom algae has been taken over my tank like crazy as well....

• Like 1

I would do 1 or 2 ramshorn snails for any algae on plants or other delicate structures. You'll soon have many more, depending on how much food they find.

For algae on glass, I'd go with 1 or 2 of the larger nerites likes red racers or black racers. They are top-notch at any algae on hard surfaces, but don't like to go out on a limb in my experience.

Big plus is the betta will hardly notice either of them and they'll play nice with all your other critters.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: I got otocinclus! So, I yesterday I called 4 LFS and only 1 had them (otocinclus) in stock. Turns out, 3 of them didn't and only 1 LFS had them in stock. The otos I got were actually really well-fed, happy, and energetic. IMO and IME that's quite rare for otos as they are mostly wild-caught. I fed them repashy soilent green and blanched veggies. They finished it all. 

Also, I have a betta in that tank and things kinda went sideways when I added the otos...

My betta is really peaceful so I assumed nothing would happen. I added the otos and my betta started chasing and biting the otos. I got so scared I started shaking, lol. I caught the betta with a net and put him in a clear breeder box in the tank until I think she's calmed down. Now it's a waiting game. I have complete faith she will calm down. She is incredibly peaceful.  I got 6 otocinclus when I asked for 4. The owner was really nice and I asked for 4 otocinclus he gave me 6 for the price of 4. The otos are really cool to watch.

Thank you guys a lot for your help and guidance.

2 hours ago, BettasAreSuperior said:

UPDATE: I got otocinclus! So, I yesterday I called 4 LFS and only 1 had them (otocinclus) in stock. Turns out, 3 of them didn't and only 1 LFS had them in stock. The otos I got were actually really well-fed, happy, and energetic. IMO and IME that's quite rare for otos as they are mostly wild-caught. I fed them repashy soilent green and blanched veggies. They finished it all. 

Also, I have a betta in that tank and things kinda went sideways when I added the otos...

My betta is really peaceful so I assumed nothing would happen. I added the otos and my betta started chasing and biting the otos. I got so scared I started shaking, lol. I caught the betta with a net and put him in a clear breeder box in the tank until I think she's calmed down. Now it's a waiting game. I have complete faith she will calm down. She is incredibly peaceful.  I got 6 otocinclus when I asked for 4. The owner was really nice and I asked for 4 otocinclus he gave me 6 for the price of 4. The otos are really cool to watch.

Thank you guys a lot for your help and guidance. 

Hope that the betta will calm down and I'm sure it will. It was a good move putting her in the breeder box.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Ryan W said:

When it comes to algae, I vote electric toothbrush!

I do like oto’s for diatoms though. I just have to make sure your tank has enough bio film for them to graze on once they eat all the diatoms. 

CE446AF1-47CA-45DF-B847-C3EE394B4EF1.jpeg

Haha, lol. I agree my otos love diatom algae. Otos in general do. I feed them real food as well such as blanched veggies and repashy soilent green. Repashy is made out of aufuchws which is what otos eat in the wild. I also have a cholla wood log that also is a food source for my snails and otos. That cholla wood grows SO MUCH and such thick biofilm. It is a like a replenshing food source for them. My betta likes hiding in it as well so it's a win-win! They are well-fed!

Im sad I didn't see this thread sooner so I could have recommended a Panda Garra(or 4 if you wanted more but would have avoided 4 with the tank load you posted). Super active fish and they just dart around grazing on algae all over the aquarium. 

Glad you're liking the otos though.

Stock Panda Garra image 🙂
Image result for panda garra

• Thanks 1

For the cyanobacteria do a blackout for a week. Turn off the lights and cover the tank with a thick blanket for a week. No w feedings either. Your fish and plants will be fine.

Green dust just regular maintenance. 

Diatom and slime, otos and snails, I really like ramshorns they seem to outcompete my pest snails to keep them under control, but populations stay more reasonable. 

I'd go snail. They're not only amazing cleaners that require little to no care, and they can help alert you if something is going on in the tank. You start out with 2 snails, all of sudden you find yourself with a ton of snails, probably means too much waste on the bioload, etc. so they're a great "canary in a coal mine."

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RickHunter said:

Im sad I didn't see this thread sooner so I could have recommended a Panda Garra(or 4 if you wanted more but would have avoided 4 with the tank load you posted). Super active fish and they just dart around grazing on algae all over the aquarium. 

Glad you're liking the otos though.

Stock Panda Garra image 🙂
Image result for panda garra

Ohh, they seem like nice fish. If I ever get a 20 gal or bigger tank I will for sure try them out. They kinda look like plecos imo. 🙂 The otocinclus are nice, I'm enjoying them. 

7 hours ago, ChefConfit said:

For the cyanobacteria do a blackout for a week. Turn off the lights and cover the tank with a thick blanket for a week. No w feedings either. Your fish and plants will be fine.

Green dust just regular maintenance. 

Diatom and slime, otos and snails, I really like ramshorns they seem to outcompete my pest snails to keep them under control, but populations stay more reasonable. 

I was actually going to do a blackout but wasn't sure if the plants would melt. Will the plants melt at all if I do a blackout for a week? Yeah, I think regular maintenance and the algae-eaters would solve the diatom problem. They've got it pretty covered, the diatoms are almost gone!

3 hours ago, OlsonAquatics said:

I'd go snail. They're not only amazing cleaners that require little to no care, and they can help alert you if something is going on in the tank. You start out with 2 snails, all of sudden you find yourself with a ton of snails, probably means too much waste on the bioload, etc. so they're a great "canary in a coal mine."

Yes, I have got 2 snails and I want more, I can't get enough of them! (Though I think my tank is a bit overstocked 😬)

1 hour ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I'm late to the party but I voted snails, because I love them and have them in every tank. Also I'm a bit obsessed with my mystery snails lately. X3 

Same! I thought snails were a bit gross (sorry) but now that I have got them they are pretty cool!!

4 hours ago, Tanked said:

I have 4 nerites and legions of trumpet snails that might be contributing.  But the SAEs are doing most of the work and the pleco is helping.

I think the same, I think the otos are doing more work but I still love the snails. 

If you do ever end up getting Panda Garra just know that they aren't shy fish either 🙂

Last time I went to put plants into my tank and rearrange some things they swam around my hand a bunch and started to perch and suck on my hand as well. I wont lie....it tickled a lot and was surprising but it was fun.

• Haha 1