Newly planted 5 gal aquarium

walker

I planted my aquarium about 4 wks. ago, having lots of trouble.  Java Fern is doing so, so, lots of browning, Windelov Java Fern is doing awful.  I have cut away dead leaves, lots of brown.  Cryptocoryne Wendtill looked good at first but seems to be getting very pale.  The amazon sword seems to be only survivor.  I put plant tabs in at the beginning and am using Flourite brown substrate, which I didn't rinse very well.  New to this.  Should I fertilize?  And can I add fish now.  PH is around 6.8, alkalinity low.  Everything else ok.  I was trying to establish plants before adding fish.  But plants are harder than I thought.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.  

The Nitrogen cycle is complete when their is nitrates in your water, what are your nitrates at? I like to have my nitrates at 10-20ppm before adding fish. Yes you should be fertilizing I would suggest the Aquarium Co-op Easy Green: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/easy-green-all-in-one-fertilizer You said that the cryps are a bit pale they are nictorius for dying back, wondering if the leaves are yellow? What light are you using?

• Like 1

I have that tank. The light is not great at all. I replaced it with a cheap plant light which is dramatically brighter.

The crypts may melt hard, and then come back fine, but the windelov java fern looks really rough. I suspect it needs both liquid fertilizer and a bit more light, but It is showing a damage pattern that looks more like the fronds might have dried out in shipping. Even if you break a leaf off fully it will generally float around the tank for months and stay green. I am voting the plant was damaged at some point before you got it. You can trim back the brown leaves there if you like.

Also, the rhizome on both types of java fern should not get buried.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, walker said:

I'm using the light that came with the Marineland aquarium to start but I did buy a Finnex light.  Ton he nitrites showed 0 on the easy test strip.  I'm going to try and post picture.  

IMG_5302.JPG

You can throw in some fish food in their to speed up the cycle.