BacterAE, how much?

Alec2cool

I got some BacterAE for my Rainbow Stiphodon Gobies. However, on the container it does not explain how much to put in the tank. Maybe it does but I just don't understand it? It says 1 daily measuring spoon but it did not include a spoon

Anyways, I have a 20 gallon long with 3 young Rainbow Stiphodon Gobies. Anyone with experience with this product know the measurement of BacterAE I should be putting into the tank daily to feed these guys?

People have already mentioned how much the spoon is, but what I use depends on the bioload in the tank. I don't use a whole spoonful for light bioload tanks. If I have a 10 gal tank with maybe 5 to 10 shrimp? I'll use 1/4 of the spoon provided once or twice a week. Larger bioloads I'll use more. I have a 30 gal tank with 40 to 50 shrimp or so and I'll use most of a spoon or a full scoop. I also supplement some powdered shrimp food to build biofilm. I also use one of those protein powder shakers to shake it up with tank water or ro water before adding it to the aquarium. I have one I use only for aquariums. 

I heard that people had bad results feeding as directed on the package as it can overload the tank or could cause issues with oxygen, etc. I'd feed based on nutrient needs of a tank.  

17 hours ago, Alec2cool said:

Ouch that is a really small amount, I'm not sure if I have a utensil for that

Mark from "Mark's Shrimp Tanks" has a video where he shows how much BacterAE he uses in his tanks. If i remember correctly, he just roughly eyeballs it without a real measuring spoon. I believe he said he adds what amounts to the size of a grain of rice--something like that--everyday. 

Personally, I use the spoon they provide because it's convenient and because I don't lose it since it's easily stored right in the jar. But you don't need to use it and can just wing it so long as you're confident in your ability to approximate the same amount each feeding, and go heavier or lighter from that as needed.

I don't think there's any science to this. You just feed a given amount, see how the health of the aquarium responds, and then adjust as needed. It's more a 'feel' thing.

But I guess knowing the size of the missing spoon gives you a good starting place.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Mark from "Mark's Shrimp Tanks" has a video where he shows how much BacterAE he uses in his tanks. If i remember correctly, he just roughly eyeballs it without a real measuring spoon. I believe he said he adds what amounts to the size of a grain of rice--something like that--everyday. 

Personally, I use the spoon they provide because it's convenient and I because don't lose it since its easily stored right in the jar. But you don't need to use it and can just wing it so long as you're confident in your ability to approximate the same amount each feeding, and go heavier or lighter from that as needed.

I don't think there's any science to this. You just feed a given amount, see how the health of the aquarium responds, and then adjust as needed. It's more a 'feel' thing.

But I guess knowing the size of the missing spoon gives you a good starting place.

Thanks! I did decide to just wing it and I'm hoping it goes well. I usually don't worry too much about overfeeding as every tank I have is loaded with plants. The Gobies' activity tripled in just minutes after adding the BacterAE and they even started doing an odd game of what seems like leapfrog. However, I never saw them actually eat the powder.

Is the powder itself the food or is it the food FOR the food? I placed the powder in another tank with platies to see if they'd actually eat the powder and they also ignored it.

1 hour ago, Alec2cool said:

Is the powder itself the food or is it the food FOR the food?

My understanding is that Bacter AE is primarily the food FOR the food. But I agree, it's also both; My guppies definitely eat the powder straight and I assume before the culture is activated. That said, their website contains this statement:

The contained bacteria in Bacter AE Micro Powder cultures are activated as soon as they come into contact with water.