10 Gallon Betta Tank

Duke

Looking to start a new 10 gallon Betta tank...Was hoping to go the sponge filter route,, have notice when going to buy one they do not come with an air pump.

Do you need an air pump also any good name brands I should be looking??

Was thinking about adding some cherry red shrimp and some snails to go with it 

Some live plants also any suggestions 

The Aquarium Co-op usb nano air pump is what I would reccomend, only if you live in the USA though: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/usb-nano-air-pump if you haven't bought a sponge filter yet I would recceomend the aquarium coop sponge filter https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-co-op-coarse-sponge-filter

If you don't live in USA I have used the the tetra whisper airpump https://www.amazon.ca/Tetra-77855-Whisper-Pump-100-Gallon/dp/B000A0PYQK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxObcmOGwHaL-K8grqTzJ9tZD8Z3wA5ZdsvrC9ouEIiIXUgy8mEwk50aAp0cEALw_wcB&hvadid=208336255372&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001187&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=327340245856348127&hvtargid=kwd-303859536958&hydadcr=20822_9424287&keywords=tetra+whisper+air+pump&qid=1610496987&sr=8-1&tag=googcana-20 By the name of the product it makes it seem quiet, I can assure you its not. I have a towel wrapped around it to muffel the sound, it works well. 

If your doing shrimp I would reccomend some moss or some monte carlo for the shrimp to hide in, the betta may try to snack on a few.

• Like 1

You do need and air pump, the usb nano from Aquarium co-op is nice. I have tetra air pumps (i bought off amazon) that work fine but a little "louder", not truly loud but definitely make a little sound.

Bettas could eat the shrimp so if you do want to mix them I would make sure there are spaces they can hide and prepare your self for possible shrimp snacks. I had a female that went fine with Amano and cherry shrimp then one day I noticed one missing... I later added some "ghost" shrimp and confirmed that she was the culprit, 10 dead in one night. She ate well those couple days, she got a tank all to herself after that. I have heard that with big enough tanks (and/or older bettas) it can work fine but she hunted them down in about 35 gal of water (granted i didn't have places for the shrimp to hide). I called her a tiny freshwater shark after that.

I would go for some easy plants (low light, no CO2) and maybe some big leafed. One thing to think about is what is your PH. If you have an extreme it may affect what plants you can keep well.

My picks are: Christmas moss (favorite) or Java moss (not favorite), Anubius, Crypts, valisaneria, aquarium lily, frog bit.

These are ones I have and can recommend. I will be transferring my betta to my 20long in spring and will be using these. I am planning on trying some java ferns and amazon swords (in a taller tank) in the future, I hear they are fairly easy.

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Like 1

I have had really good luck with the super cheap marina 75 air pumps. They're really quiet for about a year (then they're so cheap it doesn't hurt to replace!)

I have cherry shrimp with my betta and he's totally good with it, they breed in there and everything, but every betta will be different with that so proceed at your own risk. They're awesome clean up crew though!

Java fern is one of my all time favourite plants, so easy and looks awesome, plus your substrate doesn't matter since it should be tied to wood/rocks.

Good luck! I love my 10 gallon betta tank. For inspiration, here it is...

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.18.37 PM.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dancing Matt said:

You do need and air pump, the usb nano from Aquarium co-op is nice. I have tetra air pumps (i bought off amazon) that work fine but a little "louder", not truly loud but definitely make a little sound.

Bettas could eat the shrimp so if you do want to mix them I would make sure there are spaces they can hide and prepare your self for possible shrimp snacks. I had a female that went fine with Amano and cherry shrimp then one day I noticed one missing... I later added some "ghost" shrimp and confirmed that she was the culprit, 10 dead in one night. She ate well those couple days, she got a tank all to herself after that. I have heard that with big enough tanks (and/or older bettas) it can work fine but she hunted them down in about 35 gal of water (granted i didn't have places for the shrimp to hide). I called her a tiny freshwater shark after that.

I would go for some easy plants (low light, no CO2) and maybe some big leafed. One thing to think about is what is your PH. If you have an extreme it may affect what plants you can keep well.

My picks are: Christmas moss (favorite) or Java moss (not favorite), Anubius, Crypts, valisaneria, aquarium lily, frog bit.

These are ones I have and can recommend. I will be transferring my betta to my 20long in spring and will be using these. I am planning on trying some java ferns and amazon swords (in a taller tank) in the future, I hear they are fairly easy.

11 hours ago, redmare said:

I have had really good luck with the super cheap marina 75 air pumps. They're really quiet for about a year (then they're so cheap it doesn't hurt to replace!)

I have cherry shrimp with my betta and he's totally good with it, they breed in there and everything, but every betta will be different with that so proceed at your own risk. They're awesome clean up crew though!

Java fern is one of my all time favourite plants, so easy and looks awesome, plus your substrate doesn't matter since it should be tied to wood/rocks.

Good luck! I love my 10 gallon betta tank. For inspiration, here it is...

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.18.37 PM.png

That’s awesome much appreciated absolutely gives me some ideas beauty of a tank!!

• Like 2