Do tetras work with other tetras

PattysAquatics

Yes tetras would get along with each other. different kinds of tetras won't school with eachother though. All though I have heard that the Neon Tetra, the Black Neon Tetra and the Green neon tetras all school together, I guess its because they are all the same kind of tetras. And I've heard of a neon tetra schooling with a group of cardinal tetras. All though for the most part tetras won't school with other kind of tetras. Yes tetras and rasboras will get along.

So for example: (I'm not saying you need 3 different schools)

-7 Cardinal Tetras

-7 Rummynose Tetra

-7 Serpae Tetras

This way the cardinals will school together, the rummynose wil school together and the serpae tetras will school toegther.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, James Black said:

Yes tetras would get along with each other. different kinds of tetras won't school with eachother though. All though I have heard that the Neon Tetra, the Black Neon Tetra and the Green neon tetras all school together, I guess its because they are all the same kind of tetras. And I've heard of a neon tetra schooling with a group of cardinal tetras. All though for the most part tetras won't school with other kind of tetras. Yes tetras and rasboras will get along.

So for example: (I'm not saying you need 3 different schools)

-7 Cardinal Tetras

-7 Rummynose Tetra

-7 Serpae Tetras

This way the cardinals will school together, the rummynose wil school together and the serpae tetras will school toegther.

Cool thank you. Trying to get as much info as possible before I go to get fish this weekend 

• Like 1

I have kept several varieties of Tetras and Danios, but certainly not all. I enjoy the swimming activity of Bloodfin Tetras the most. They are very active and run loops and figure-eights around my wood and plants.

Ember Tetras and CPDs are pretty shy, and Leopard Danios are bolder, but not as busy as the Bloodfin Tetras, and may be more hierarchical. Glowlight Tetras are kind-of in the middle, but underrated because people may think that they are GloFish.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Thanks 1

Most tetras, danios, and rasboras should get along with each other as long as you provide enough of each species you get so they can properly school. As mentioned, different species won’t school together so if you were to get one of each species of tetra, they would all be very stressed out and alone. But a large school of a few species would do great. The smaller rasboras could potentially be an accidental snack for the largest of tetras, but that’s mere speculation on my part. The aquarium coop YouTube channel has several videos on stocking tanks and Cory mentions heavily of how to really fill out a community tank by getting fish for the different areas of the aquarium, so getting fish that like to stay in the upper third of the aquarium, fish that stay in the middle, and bottom dwellers. I’m planning on doing just that as I continue stocking my own 20 gallon community. Right now I have celestial pearl danios, which are bottom and midwater dwellers, I just added some habrosus corydoras which are bottom dwellers, and I’m also going to add some pseudomugil gertrudae rainbows, which hang out at the top of the tank. I may add an apisto as a show piece fish, and or some candy cane tetras for a bit of a bigger bodied fish. I’m not sure yet. Best of luck

• Like 1