Quarantining Wild Caught Fish & Empty Sick Tank

Ben C.

Hello all!

So I've recently got some emerald dwarf rasboras and kuhli loaches who've finished their second week of QT. All looks good, but if I recall correctly, kuhli loaches are generally wild caught. They've had no medication, but would it be recommended to run a paracleanse cycle on them before I put them in their respective tanks? Only 1 loach is still a bit small/paler, but he readily eats. The rest are chonkers at this point. My hesitation is that the QT tank is uncycled, so I'm keeping the ammonia as low as possible with daily water changes. The paracleanse would get in the way of that.

My second question is, I just recently lost a betta to a mystery disease, and now his tank is uninhabited other than snails. How long should the tank lie empty in your experience before it's safe to add fish again?

Thanks!

did the betta die randomly, or was he experiancing symptoms before hand and then died? 

As far as the QT tank do you have cycled filter media from another tank? if so, put the media in the filter your using for the QT tank. If you don't I would leave the treating of the kuhli loaches, if they seem to be eating and are healthy chances are they wont have any parasites.

• Like 1

if the betta had symptoms I would wait a few weeks (one maybe two) or just drain the tank down and let everything dry. draining the tank is probably the better way to do it. But if you don't have a place for the snails to go just wait a few weeks.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

The betta had what I'm guessing was a rough bacterial infection that knocked him in out in 3 days, despite medicine. So nasty stuff. I could remove the snails, but with QT, I wouldn't be getting a new fish in there probably for at least 4 weeks. Maybe a combo of both then? Leave it for a good while and do some big boy water changes?

As for the loaches - I did seed some filter floss for almost 2 weeks in my main tank to move over, but it didn't really do much...maybe I will give it a few more days. They're fairly confident little guys who gobble stuff down though.