New goby - substrate question

Aralia

Last weekend I acquired an electric blue neon dwarf goby. He is in the quarantine tank right now and seems to be doing well. I have been looking for substrate ideas online and I see sand is the most recommended. Does anyone have any advice on brands or other substrates that would work better? He will be in a 29 gallon with some amano shrimp and  a school of white cloud minnow. 

Oof I hear that! I have a couple small tanks with sand now and they definitely show anything that gets on it. I made the mistake of using white sand in a tank with 2 mystery snails and their poop shows up really well 😄I just want to make sure I don’t hurt the goby with anything sharp. I would be open to gravel if that would work too. 

I have noticed my stiphodon gobies like to burrow around in the substrate. I have them on a natural sand and small pebble mix I collected from a mountain lakeshore. I would be hesitant to use something jagged like eco complete but anything else should probably be fine. They are awesome little fish!

16 minutes ago, MAC said:

I have noticed my stiphodon gobies like to burrow around in the substrate. I have them on a natural sand and small pebble mix I collected from a mountain lakeshore. I would be hesitant to use something jagged like eco complete but anything else should probably be fine. They are awesome little fish!

That is great to hear. Thank you! I am loving him so far. I can’t wait to get him settled in 🙂

• Like 1