Need suggestions for community tank

PattysAquatics

So I have done mostly all cichlid tanks and want to change one of my tanks over to a community tank. It’s a 75 that’s pretty heavily planted. I have numerous snails and a couple bristlenose plecos in there already and some Cory’s I will add from another tank. I want to try shrimp but beyond that I’m at a lose for what to choose. I like colorful schooling fish so I was looking for suggestions so I can look them up. Thank you 

I want silvertip tetras pretty badly after seeing them at the co-op, I love rummy nose tetras, and of course cardinal/neons. But since you have a 75 you might also want to check out emperor tetras. I can't vouch for the shrimp safety of any but the neons though! The Rummy nose I have seem to be...OK? but I have them in with an angelfish and rams, so hard to tell who is eating the shrimp. Some make it but I have tons of cover.

• Thanks 1

love the silvertips too. 

Congo Tetras, Danios, Hatchetfish Are all great fish for the top of the tank

Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Serpae Tetra, Black Skirt Tetra are all great mid level fish

I don't beleive corycats are shrimp safe, so it would have to be one or the other (Unless were talking amano shrimp) 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you have your bottom portion well-covered! Time to fill out the top and middle! How about some Dwarf Gourami to go with that pleco? With 75g, you'll have plenty of space for a larger group, or more than one variety. How about some sparkling or croaking gourami to add some music? Get yourself some schools of glowlight tetras and/or rasbora and you've got yourself a tank there brother.

• Thanks 1

How many cory cats do you have? If you only have a couple, consider getting a few more they look spectacular in larger groups. For a schooling fish, go for tetras, rasboras, or a large group of pygmy cories. Pearl gourami and guppies stay at the top in my experience, so those would be a good choice for the surface/top portion of your community.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

How many cory cats do you have? If you only have a couple, consider getting a few more they look spectacular in larger groups. For a schooling fish, go for tetras, rasboras, or a large group of pygmy cories. Pearl gourami and guppies stay at the top in my experience, so those would be a good choice for the surface/top portion of your community.

I have about 8 emerald green corys. Might get a few more. After reading the comments definitely looking at tetras and rasboras. Will be very excited to go to my LFS Saturday to see what they have in stock 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

I have about 8 emerald green corys. Might get a few more. After reading the comments definitely looking at tetras and rasboras. Will be very excited to go to my LFS Saturday to see what they have in stock 

Emerald Green Cory as in Brochis splendens or Corydoras aeneus? For tetras, I don't have much experience with them, but I heard X-ray/Pristella tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, and glowlight tetras would work well for smaller species.

9 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Emerald Green Cory as in Brochis splendens or Corydoras aeneus? For tetras, I don't have much experience with them, but I heard X-ray/Pristella tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, and glowlight tetras would work well for smaller species.

Brochis splendens , just the standard one at most fish stores. 

• Like 1

Lately, I've been digging the rainbows.  I just got some dwarf neon rainbows to go with a red betta, cories, BN plecos, and some cherry barbs in my 55 gallon.  I love the activity of the rainbows and they are so much fun to feed.  They add some great color to the tank as well, especially when they are colored up well with blues/purples in their bodies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ErikaW said:

Lately, I've been digging the rainbows.  I just got some dwarf neon rainbows to go with a red betta, cories, BN plecos, and some cherry barbs in my 55 gallon.  I love the activity of the rainbows and they are so much fun to feed.  They add some great color to the tank as well, especially when they are colored up well with blues/purples in their bodies.

That's funny we posted at the same time because my 75 is very similar.  Boesmani Rainbows, clown plecos, corys, and cherry barbs.  Lots going on in that tank.  I've got about 20 Rainbow babies I hatched out about a week ago.  Man those things are tiny.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ErikaW said:

56 minutes ago, Larrimore said:

That's funny we posted at the same time because my 75 is very similar.  Boesmani Rainbows, clown plecos, corys, and cherry barbs.  Lots going on in that tank.  I've got about 20 Rainbow babies I hatched out about a week ago.  Man those things are tiny.

I'm a big fan of rainbowfish also.  I have a eleven Turquoise rainbows in my 65. 

11 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Late to the party. Another vote for Rainbowfish here. 75 gal is so inviting! Boesemani all the way  . . .

I considered Boesmanis when I was stocking my 65, but went with Turquoise rainbows instead.  I like blue fish anyway, and the $2.00 each price difference helped me make up my mind.

silver tipped tetras are my favoriote tetrai would say get the silver tipped they are a buetifull schooling fish the males get a gold brown color the females are whitesh but when you have like 40-50 of them it looks amazing I own a 100 gallon that I stocked with 100 silver tipped tetras with nothing else and it looks magical

• Like 1