White fuzz on lily bulb?

Lexi B

I'm not sure if this is normal. To me, it looks like a fungus?

I bought this dwarf red lily bulb from the co-op about three days ago. I noticed the white haze growing on it the second day and it's gotten worse. I never buried it or anything since I know it would rot. 

What should I do?

received_2007021406106128.jpeg

It should still grow just fine as long as the bulb doesn't feel mushy to the touch. If it starts rotting, just email customer support and they will quickly ship you out a new one. A certain percentage of bulbs are duds for some reason.

My last bulb sprouted within 1 week. My current bulb hasn't sprouted yet and is very fuzzy as well. I'm going to follow the directions and wait up to 3 weeks and then flip it over if it's still firm and hasn't sprouted yet. Sometimes the bulb won't sprout because it's placed upside-down onto the substrate. 🙃

• Like 2

Hard to tell, i may be wrong, but it might be harmless biofilm. I have had similar biofilm grow on real driftwood that algae eaters, snails, and shrimp love to munch on. Biofilm is just a harmless bacterial bloom. It should go away on its own even if you do not have the aforementioned critters to munch on it. Continue to observe it and take pictures as it grows or diminishes. As changes occur please repost any progress or lack there of for further analysis.