I just started a planted tank and I have read that carbon can essentially make fertilizer ineffective. I have an aqueon hang on back filter that uses the disposable filter cartridges, which have activated carbon in them. Is this okay to use? If not l, how can I change my hang on back filter to be effective without the carbon filters?

watch cory's video on souping up your hang on back filter. another way to go, is if you fertalize, do so a couple days after you change the filter cartridge. after a few days, the carbon is full of whatever and wont remove anything else from the water column.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Activated carbon will absorb fertilizer. But i think most filter cartridges use like half an ounce or maybe even a full ounce. It shouldn't remove too much fertilizer and when it does it will become saturated and stop absorbing pretty quick. I also have a planted tank with disposable cartridges and have had no issues. Seachem purigen is a superior alternative to activated carbon that removes more organic waste, without removing fertilizers, and can also be recharged and used repeatedly with bleach up to 10 times unlike disposable activated carbon. I only use the activated carbon over purigen because i want to keep my driftwood  tannins in my water column and purigen being the superior product it is would eventually remove all my tannins. 

• Thanks 1