Who has mollies? Needing advice.

Theresa_M

My daughter wants Dalmatian mollies so so badly. I’ve been considering it for about a month. 

I am finding mixed reviews on aggression with these fish. We have a beta sorority, a school of neon tetras, 6 panda Corydoras, and one Hillstream loach (for now). My daughter wants Dalmatian Mollies. I’m thinking of adding 3 females. Thoughts?? 

In my limited experience, Mollies do seem to like water on the harder side. I also tend to agree that they seem to like salt. I keep a very small amount in the tank (Mollies and Platies) at all times. The are fun fish with big personalities. I have not experience aggression, aside from constant harassment of an interested male towards a not-interested female.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this will help, since I just have experience with 2 mollies - bought to control a hydra outbreak. My big female is in my 40 breeder living with other livebearers. She's been in 7.5 ph, no salt, for about 2 years now. The only aggression she's shown is she'll kind of chase the other fish around now and then at feeding time, but it's not a very big deal. Everyone still eats. I had a male in a 29 gallon at the same ph, no salt, and he didn't make it to a year. But he was extremely peaceful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I don't know if this will help, since I just have experience with 2 mollies - bought to control a hydra outbreak. My big female is in my 40 breeder living with other livebearers. She's been in 7.5 ph, no salt, for about 2 years now. The only aggression she's shown is she'll kind of chase the other fish around now and then at feeding time, but it's not a very big deal. Everyone still eats. I had a male in a 29 gallon at the same ph, no salt, and he didn't make it to a year. But he was extremely peaceful. 

Did the mollies eat the hydra?

I recently read that dalmatian mollies are considered (by someone) to be "generally peaceful" rather than "peaceful" like the black molly.

I guess you'll have to have a plan for if it doesn't work even if it maybe likely will?

• Thanks 1

I have had dalmatian mollies for about 10 months. Never had a issue with aggression. All my other fish are much small as them as well and they always left them alone.

If you do have a male and female they breed like crazy. The male is very dominant only towards the females. Never seen him chase any other fish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive kept Mollies for years and the only time I’ve seen aggression was when the Molly was the only one. Being a livebearer if you have more than one you will need two of the same sex or a two female/ one male ratio. If you do males and females you will end up with fry. 

As for salt, sometimes Mollies are raised n brackish water and it is bad for them to go from some salt to freshwater. However, if you find Mollies raised in freshwater they will be easier to keep. Mollies raised in brackish can be weaned off the salt in a qt tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate all of the feedback and advice! I didn’t go out and buy any yesterday afterall. I didn’t have the courage. Getting there though ... lol.

Nobody has really said anything about housing with a betta sorority. I may not have posed the topic correctly and will try again.

Regarding being fin nippers, some of my half moon girls do have longer flowing fins like males, so fin nipping is a concern for me.