accent cabinet as stand

stephk

Hello,

I have a 16 gallon aquarium which will be placed in my living room. I am therefore looking at standard accent cabinets (Wayfair, ect) to use as a stand.  although these cabinets look nice I am wondering if they are okay to hold the weight of my tank.  Anyone use a regular cabinet for their small ish tanks?  Any problems with weight capacity?

Thanks!

As a general rule of thumb, I usually “guesstimate” the final weight of an aquarium by adding a zero to the end of the gallon. So a 15-gal could weigh in at 150 lbs full (8-lbs / gallon + tank, substrate, decor, filters, hood, etc). 

We have used older, well-built dresser tops for tanks. (A poor idea, by the way... every time the dresser is opened and closed it terrorizes fish)

We’ve gone the route of either hand making stands, or buying stands specifically designed for aquariums. 

You’ll want to keep in mind that most things _can_ work for awhile. But if there’s much water leakage over time, it can breakdown and warp low-end wood / particle board. 

• Like 2

I use older furniture, and yes, it's made very well and is SUPER heavy. I get 20-Gauge Clear Vinyl, from Joanns or the Hobby place, and place it over the top of the furniture to protect the wood. And yes, my aqua-pets freak when I open the drawers. Plus, the small dresser is too tall for me to comfortably waterchange, so I'm switching out the 29 for a 20 long there. 

BTW - that 20-Gauge vinyl is worth every penny and it's now a requirement for under all of my tanks. It's a big amount for under 10 dollars and everything wipes clean off of it. 

FWIW - Thrift stores and consignment shops have older well made accent tables, etc for super cheap! 

Edited by ShellFire
  • Like 2

I've used newer ikea, and a very cheap wayfair cabinet. Particle board is just not up to the task. The pine dresser did great until the third tank... All I did was add a short block on the floor to reinforce the center support and it's fine. Holding 2 10g and a 12g.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stephk said:

Hello,

I have a 16 gallon aquarium which will be placed in my living room. I am therefore looking at standard accent cabinets (Wayfair, ect) to use as a stand.  although these cabinets look nice I am wondering if they are okay to hold the weight of my tank.  Anyone use a regular cabinet for their small ish tanks?  Any problems with weight capacity?

Thanks!

I’d be a little surprised if non solid wood furniture would be reliable. We have a couple of apothecary tables that hold 29s with no issue, but they were $350. 

• Like 1

I keep my 10 gallon and 20 gallon on a set of solid-wood Ethan Allen end tables I got from my grandma.  No issues after a few years--but definitely put down the vinyl! You can be careful as much as you want, but they will get wet, and it will hurt the finish (speaking from experience--refinishing is in the future).  I sat on them with one of my kids first and they were totally solid.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stephk said:

Anyone use a regular cabinet for their small ish tanks?  Any problems with weight capacity?

My original 29 gal. sat on a small chest for years without weight related issues.  I would use caution when picking furniture with long "legs" unless they are reinforced in some manner.    

Solid wood as others have mentioned.  I have my 29gal on a solid oak side board and a 6gal on a solid wood night table, all quite solid.  I have an 8gal on a solid wood (but more spindly) storage table (end table with drawers) and I'm planning to upgrade that one... little iffy for my liking.