Hillstream loach additions

Theresa_M

As @Colu mentioned it’s better to get a group of the same ones. 
From the different loaches I’ve kept, different types can be in the tank together and be fine. But they different types don’t socially interact with each other. And I believe that even goes for the different types of hillstream loaches, spot bornea, Chinese, compactus and so on, don’t socialize together. 
And it really is worth seeing them when they’re in a group, their behavior changes drastically. Even kuhli loaches become less timid when kept in a decent sized group. They’d swim around with each other, lay on the plants in the open with the light on and not be hiding all of the time. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harpsandfish said:

I have a single reticulated hillstream that came as a hitchhiker on a plant from the Coop, and he lives happily with a bunch of green neon tetras, rasboras, a couple sunset honey gouramis and a bunch of snails. He plays all over the tank and isn’t shy. He’s beautiful!

Dang, that's like winning the hitchhiker lottery. 

• Like 1

Just now, StephenP2003 said:

Dang, that's like winning the hitchhiker lottery. 

Definitely! 😁

16 minutes ago, Harpsandfish said:

I have a single reticulated hillstream that came as a hitchhiker on a plant from the Coop, and he lives happily with a bunch of green neon tetras, rasboras, a couple sunset honey gouramis and a bunch of snails. He plays all over the tank and isn’t shy. He’s beautiful!

Hillstream are not as timid as kuhli loaches. But they do still seem to change how they act when not in a decent group. I recently purchased a group, and then lost a couple doing med treatments. The behavior from when I had the 6 I bought to the 3 remaining has changed. 

50 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

I impulse bought a strawberry spotted hillstream loach at my LFS, and released it into my 90 gallon on Saturday. I saw it in the glass that night but have not seen it since. Hopefully it'll emerge when it's more confident. That was a $20 fish. 

Yeah, they can get expensive. But they are entertaining to watch. 

• Like 1