New tank cycle stalled?

KimM

10 gallon fishless cycle started on Dec 2st. I added some gravel from an established tank. Added 3 Amazon swords, 1 anubias nano, 1 marino moss ball, 1 square of java fern, and 1 floating moss ball on Jan 1. Have been using the fish food method for ammonia because I can't find suitable ammonia locally. Ammonia has been steady at 1 ppm, nitrites are 5 ppm, nitrates 20 ppm. On Wednesday, the ammonia levels dropped to 0, nitrites and nitrates the same. I expected the nitrites to start to lower but they haven't. Today,  ammonia 0, nitrites 5, and nitrates 10. I have been adding fish food every 12 hours. Temp is 77.7. pH is 7.6. Should I start adding aquarium-grade ammonia? I suspect something else is eating the ammonia and I need to add more to complete the cycling process.

My experience with my first cycle was about the same. Ammonia dropped to zero as bacteria to convert it to nitrite established a large enough colony. Once my ammonia was daily dropping to 0, there was a week+ of lag time before nitrite converting bacteria grew out in large enough numbers to make a dent in the nitrite in the tank. My nitrite was off the API test kit's chart, which was concerning, but it eventually came down.

I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing you're just in that lag period. Nitrite eating bacteria won't start establishing themselves until you've got enough food for 'em in the tank. If it were me, I'd stay the course and be patient.

I used ammonium chloride because the fish food method because I'm a bit of a control freak and the entire process, with no established media/substrate, took 5 weeks. The wait is a killer.

Edited by Schwack

Yeah, @KimM, I think @Schwack is exactly right - you are seeing the cycling begin. One thing dies off as the other grows, and there are lulls in between. Be patient. You should soon see a lovely "0" for your nitrites, too. As your plants start to grow you will see different fluctuations too. It's all very interesting to watch! You could always drop in a snail or two and see how they do.