Seachem’s Cupramine Copper... to use or not to use?

Ariel S

Hello Everyone! 

I’m looking for advice on getting rid of some ramshorn snails from my tank. I was over feeding and letting them breed because I had a puffer tank and I was harvesting them for food, but now I’m giving my puffer to a friend and there are so many now I just don’t want all of the snails in my tank (mostly, they creep me out- remind me of fleas on pets). 

I have a sera snail catcher and I use it literally every single night for over a week but there are still lots of snails and I’m just looking for a faster solution honestly- plus my Kuhli loaches and endlers keep ending up inside of the trap! 

Any advice For using this product? 
will it be safe for my other inhabitants? (Kuhli loaches, apistos, otos, tetras).

Any other snail removal ideas other than “just leave them” or get assassin snails.

Oh! I also don’t have any space in the tank for any snail eating loaches or a puffer unfortunately. 

thanks in advance!!! 
-Ariel 

You could try No Planaria or dog dewormer. Those both murder snails and planaria pretty well. They're both fish safe in theory. I write "in theory" because I have never used them in a tank, only in a bucket on planaria infested plants. I know from experience that just the residue from No Planaria can kill Mystery snails in a few days.

My ramshorns are in love with cucumber. The fish not so much. So maybe better bait in the trap?

Alternatively, remove the FISH to a quarantine tank and then you can napalm it with whatever snail killing chemical you like...but you will need to find most of the corpses to avoid a nitrogen spike. I think this is the real reason to avoid killing them chemically.

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

My ramshorns are in love with cucumber. The fish not so much. So maybe better bait in the trap?

Alternatively, remove the FISH to a quarantine tank and then you can napalm it with whatever snail killing chemical you like...but you will need to find most of the corpses to avoid a nitrogen spike. I think this is the real reason to avoid killing them chemically.

That sounds like a good idea, moving the fish to a quarantine tank, but, I’ll have to make sure they aren’t in the quarantine tank for long bc collectively I have about 25 fish but only a 10 gallon quarantine tank. 

42 minutes ago, Ariel S said:

That sounds like a good idea, moving the fish to a quarantine tank, but, I’ll have to make sure they aren’t in the quarantine tank for long bc collectively I have about 25 fish but only a 10 gallon quarantine tank. 

Well, a "tank" is not required to be beautiful. You can get a large clean plastic storage tote...and use it for storing aquarium stuff after.

• Like 1