Guppies are brutal

redmare

I witnessed my first guppy baby murder today 😰  my big giant female was finally having her babies, and a pack of about 20 fry was gathered on the top. Another female chased down one baby and grabbed him and thrashed like a shark and didn't even eat him, but also didn't kill him. I think I'm going to start a fry grow out tank so I can decide which ones get to live! But of course that means I have to be the brutal one... darn. 

• Sad 3

On 1/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, redmare said:

I witnessed my first guppy baby murder today 😰  my big giant female was finally having her babies, and a pack of about 20 fry was gathered on the top. Another female chased down one baby and grabbed him and thrashed like a shark and didn't even eat him, but also didn't kill him. I think I'm going to start a fry grow out tank so I can decide which ones get to live! But of course that means I have to be the brutal one... darn. 

I saw a fry going up for its first breath and one of my male porkchop rasboras swims over it takes one gulp and it's gone, just like that.

Even with that type of carnage, my live bearers are in the 100s now from about an initial dozen, 5 months ago.

The amount of babies that are being eaten daily in our aquariums is pretty astounding, alot of our egg layers are breeding regularly but those babies are gone before we even see them.