Upgrading tanks need advice

Ktilling

Alright coop folks im upgrading from a well established flex 15 to a flex 32.5 and I dont really have a way of having them both set up so I think I'm going to do a straight swap and treat it like a 50 percent change but transfer everything mechanical filtration c nodes gravel plants and all The part that worries me is my blue phantom pleco im not sure how he will handle the transfer especially since last time I tried to catch him he jumped straight out of the tank and about 4 feet across the room... Any advice. I know ideally it would be best to set up the 32 in advance and use part of my media to cycle it but its simply not possible

20210105_194109.jpg

take a bucket, put some water from the tank in it, put your fish in it. finish draining down the tank, pull it down from where it is and put the new one there. remove media from old tank, place in new tank. transfer filter, media, wood, plants etc. fill up new tank, treat it with dechlorinator. wait a few minutes, then give it a dose of fritzyme7 ( or similar), once the temp on the new tanks is close to what the old tank was, take fish from bucket, and put in new tank.

Edited by lefty o
dyslexic typing
  • Haha 1

Honestly I wouldn't be too worried. If you're putting everything in the new tank, there should be absolutely no disruption to your cycle. I'd put 75% of the water into the new tank, then move the fish to the new tank, then add the rest of the old tank water and top it up with fresh. You can also move the fish to a bucket since moving all your gravel and decor might stir up a lot of gunk, although that's not a huge deal either.

If your pleco goes into a cave, you can simply pick up the cave and set it in the bucket of old tank water - much easier than trying to catch the pleco with a net.  If there is no cave, try placing a plastic cup or a jar in the original tank for the pleco to swim into, then pick it all up.   Then, like everyone else said, move stuff, add back fish & old tank water from the bucket.  

• Like 1

I would add an air stone to the bucket and maybe a heater.  

If you are concerned with jumping, drain most of the water before catching the fish.  

big trick, slow down, don’t rush things.  Think things through and lay everything out before you start.  (Slow is smooth, smooth is fast). You are less likely to make mistakes, and you will enjoy it more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

I would add an air stone to the bucket and maybe a heater.  

If you are concerned with jumping, drain most of the water before catching the fish.  

big trick, slow down, don’t rush things.  Think things through and lay everything out before you start.  (Slow is smooth, smooth is fast). You are less likely to make mistakes, and you will enjoy it more.

the last paragraph here is the important one.  dont sweat it, your just transferring over an established tank into a slightly bigger one. doesnt have the same worries of a fresh brand new start up. well, it has the worries, but you have a ton of good bacteria to start with, which is the hardest part.

• Like 1