Filter’s 40 breeder

Duke

Have been looking at 40 gallon breeder Aqueon tanks, I have a 10 and it’s been good..

Was thinking about upgrading to a 55 gallon hang on filter also a sponge filter in the corner.

Is this to much or not enough have been watching a lot of videos a a lot of tanks seem to have the sponge filters 

As said above, there’s no such thing as too much filter just too much flow, but within reason. Like an aqua clear 110 is very much overkill for a 10 gallon tank, so it needs to fit reasonably in the tank. That being said, my 20 long at its height bioload wise had 2 HOBs rated for 20 gallons and 2 sponge filters rated for 20 gallons. Upgrading to the 55 filter and running the sponge gives you more leeway. I’d suggest getting a hang on back with adjustable flow, that way you can dial it back if the flow is too much, or crank it up if you have reticulated loaches or plecos or something that want that higher flow. The sponge filter will add oxygen to the tank and add surface area for bacteria and for things like shrimp to graze on. My favorite filtration combo is a hang on back or HOB with bio media and sponge, and a sponge filter. I would avoid carbon cartridges because they’re an unnecessary expense, and every time you replace the cartridge you’re losing that bacteria. Now there are times when carbon is necessary, so keep whatever carbon came with it handy just in case, but I wouldn’t run it unless you need it.

• Like 1

My two largest tanks are a heavily planted, heavily stocked 29g, and a brand new understocked medium planted 40g breeder. I had a canister on the 29, and I just took it off in favor of sponge filters. It isn't that the canister wasn't doing the job, but it was high maintenance. For the 40 breeder I just started with sponges and didn't look back. So far my absolute favorite filter is a matten filter, but if that wont work for the application, my next is the sponge...Why? because I am essentially a set it and forget it type who would rather grow plants than service filters. I would rather fuss with fertilizer and lighting and trimming plants than do regular tank chores. 

The reason I bring this up is that in a planted tank you need less filter than you think. I only do water changes to remove mulm and duckweed, not because my tank needs it for water quality. The nitrates are never enough. 

I heard all this from Cory before I got the canister, but I can be hard headed that way. Apparently I needed to buy a thing. 🙄

Now if you have an unplanted tank overstocked with turtles, koi, and chichlids you won't be able to put enough filtration on, so your mileage may vary...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duke said:

Does it matter for size of sponge filter?

I used 2 large Aquarium Co-op sponge filters on both tanks. Maybe overkill, but the 29 really is packed with fish. I prefer 2 filters for creating more flow, but I probably could have used 2 smaller filters. I figure if the tank can hide them why not?

• Like 1