HOB output diffuser

starsman20

I was thinking about getting some of this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Pllieay-Plastic-Embroidery-Crafting-Projects/dp/B0824TRQ7Z/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=3GgCCV3.bV.bL1FUwdad.g&hsa_cr_id=6176713480001&pd_rd_r=b74dc2cf-4fda-44cf-b08f-8d70a4e845a8&pd_rd_w=xoveS&pd_rd_wg=pMhoG&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1

and cutting it into a strip the same width as the output of my HOB and gluing it to the underside of that output to sort of create a shelf with holes that could help spread out the flow.

Anyone else try this?  Thoughts in general?

I just was working on something similar, and I had a thin (maybe 1/4-1/2 inch), coarse filter sponge from an old HOB that was perfect for putting into the output.  It stayed there, it's black so it's not noticeable, and it totally disperses the flow.  Doesn't seem to be causing any backup issues or anything in the filter, but it's only been on there about 2 weeks.

I was going to try the suction cup soap dispensers that I saw recommended other place, but after they came I realized that because my filter has a submerged motor, there's no way to attach the suction cups so that the dish is actually under the output. 

I used some of that for a couple different things. I used that and some zipties to make a hang inside breeder box type thing. And I used some aquarium silicone to secure some to the cover of my marineland penguin 150 to slow the flow. It works pretty good, betta seems happy. I also used it to fill the gaps around filter to keep shrimp inside the tank.

It's really easy to work with. It's easy to cut with scissors. If you rough up the surface with some coarse sandpaper you can get some algae growth that will pull nitrogen out of the water.