Persistent Fin Rot

SarahO

Every time I think my boy is on the mend, his fin rot suddenly gets worse overnight. I’m heartbroken and I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried salt treatments, stressguard, paraguard, API fin and body cure, Indian almond leaves, and regular tank cleaning. His tank is fully cycled, water parameters are good, and all his plants are either live or silk. He lives with one Amano shrimp and one tiny snail. I’ve had him for nearly a year, and it’s gotten so bad in the last few months. I feel like a terrible fish owner and I just want him to be healthy. Any suggestions would be appreciated it.

0F578EEE-6988-42A5-8DB2-5A8F30BE9CE9.jpeg

E66EBABB-D4ED-494A-8D66-9EF556093E1E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are your parameters out of curiosity?  This doesn't seem like fin rot in my opinion.  He looks clearly stressed, also abdomen looks kind of swollen, but he might just be plump 🙂.   You say this happens overnight, maybe something is happening overnight like temps are dropping too low, pH is dropping too low because plants are using up the O2.  Also how long have you had this fish?

The water parameters were good. Ammonia and nitrites were both at 0. Nitrates were around 10-20. I have noticed that the temperate drops around 2-3° over night, and then warms up during the day. Could that be the cause? If so I’ll go out today and buy a better heater. 

It doesn’t look like fin rot to me either, more so actual damage to the find than anything. A few other random possibilities to throw out there come to mind, could it be the filter (either the intake too strong and sucking up the fins, an outflow he’s sneaking onto or too strong for him to handle at times), or tail biting behavior perhaps?  If he acts erratically in conjunction, it could be some sort of illness making him damage his fins from the erratic behavior. 

I do agree temperature maybe could have something to do with it if it gets too low. Perhaps it’s preventing a full recovery from the fish after all of the fin rot that occurred previously, since being in less suitable temperatures can lower the immune system, cause a build up of stress, and prevent good healing. 

Edited by Sapere_Ceta
  • Thanks 1

Though I also wonder if there’s just been too much done to try and sort out the issue, that it’s unintentionally caused more stress. I think it would be better to give the medications a break for now until otherwise showing clear signs of anything parasitic, fungal, bacterial, etc. Keeping the tank clean, tannins, and a little salt doesn’t tend to hurt, in conjunction with troubleshooting some of the options listed the comment section here from everyone. I would keep the light on the lower end the plants can tolerate as well, since bettas do enjoy lower light. That would help keep some of the stress down a little. 
I think doing that all and remaining patient with his recovery will slowly do the trick. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sapere_Ceta said:

I think it would be better to give the medications a break for now until otherwise showing clear signs of anything parasitic, fungal, bacterial, etc. Keeping the tank clean, tannins, and a little salt doesn’t tend to hurt, in conjunction with troubleshooting some of the options listed the comment section here from everyone. I would keep the light on the lower end the plants can tolerate as well, since bettas do enjoy lower light. That would help keep some of the stress down a little. 
I think doing that all and remaining patient with his recovery will slowly do the trick. 

This is usually the best option in my opinion

Edited by Mr_Manifesto
  • Thanks 1