Show me your favorite makeshift tool!

mouseturd13

I am curious what everyone uses for their fish tank that is not necessarily made for this hobby. Maybe it’s something from Amazon maybe you made your own specialty tool maybe it’s upcycled from the trash! Show me your favorite most used tool and tell me what it’s for!

Mine is one of those forks they use in flower bouquets to hold the card. It’s great for poking around the tank or rolling my moss balls around when I don’t feel like sticking my hand in.

image.jpg

• Like 14

I made this for refilling tanks so I don't have to lift a bucket, splash water everywhere, disturb substrate, etc. 

It's a Cobalt MJ1200 pump, some push connect fittings, 90° barb, silicone tubing, and a switch on the outlet to control it. I use an extension cord to keep the switch in my hand. 

20210106_192153.jpg

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

I made this for refilling tanks so I don't have to lift a bucket, splash water everywhere, disturb substrate, etc. 

It's a Cobalt MJ1200 pump, some push connect fittings, 90° barb, silicone tubing, and a switch on the outlet to control it. I use an extension cord to keep the switch in my hand. 

20210106_192153.jpg

That is smart! I am starting to get tired of lifting the bucket to fill my tank. Might look into doing this! 

1 hour ago, MickS77 said:

I use a similar (simpler) tool for the same reasons. 

Another DIY thing I use all the time is the chopstick-extended toothbrush, for cleaning the tight spaces like tank corners, insides of internal filters, crevices in wood, etc. 

diy-tools.jpg.ddb47eccd94e02f8c9efe863e9d9a703.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Fonske said:

I use a similar (simpler) tool for the same reasons. 

Another DIY thing I use all the time is the chopstick-extended toothbrush, for cleaning the tight spaces like tank corners, insides of internal filters, crevices in wood, etc. 

diy-tools.jpg.ddb47eccd94e02f8c9efe863e9d9a703.jpg

I’m diggin the toothbrush chopstick! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I attach bamboo skewers to the ends of my siphon hoses with elastics so that I can stir up the mulm but not suck up the sand while doing water changes.  

That's a great idea! I'll be using it next water change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MickS77 said:

20210106_192153.jpg

I just use a garden hose since I’m on a well and my tap water is basically the same as what comes out of my garden hose and it’s also gonna cycle and have water conditioner anyway

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MickS77 said:

20210106_192153.jpg

great idea, get you a smart plug 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schwack said:

What do you all use on the end of your refill pumps to spread the outflowing water? I picked up a little cheapy with just enough head lift on Prime Day, but even at the lowest setting it's still pretty violent.

Double pvc elbows. Going to swap this for a spray bar soon though. It’s worked well enough for a year, but a spray bar would be even more gentle.

238C28EF-0BA9-4BE2-A75E-0C525612A8C2.jpeg

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not handy with making stuff out of other stuff, but have commandeered a whole lot of kitchen items! My two favorites are an old turkey baster, useful for vacuuming the shrimp dish between gravel vacs, and a little 1/4 cup acrylic measuring cup with a spout and handle that is perfect for scooping water for testing. 

• Like 2

Here is my water change closet. Its simply a 2x10x16 pressure treated board from lowes. I cut it in half to make the top, and the other half i halfed it again to make the legs. I have an air pump with spliters and some small 5 gallon heaters i use to pre-warm and oxygenate the water while i wait for chlorine to evaporate. On the back wall you can see my sump pump ( hanging up to dry out )with tubing and a repurposed washing machine hook i use to drain my buckets into my tank instead of lifting the buckets. I also use a paint tray liner to set my wet heaters and airline tubing in to dry out while not in use. 

4FF47899-5EB4-40A5-8649-DE9252677818.jpeg

• Like 5

I also made a hospital / quarantine tank from a storage tub i bought for $5 at target. I drilled holes in the top and a slit on one corner for hoses and wires. I interchange my water change heaters and air pump for my quarantine tank and use an aquarium co-op nano sponge filter. I also marked 1 gallon increments on the side with electrical tape. In this picture you can see i am curing some drift wood for future aquascaping. 

98D8A201-00B7-452F-BBAA-395B04C41C0C.jpeg

Edited by Will Billy
Spelling error
  • Like 6

These are all awesome! 
I just thought of another one I use. It’s one of those tiny pipe cleaner brushes for reusable straws. I use it to scrub gunk off of the never clog air stone felt and just in general to scrub around small items. Don’t worry it’s a fish only scrubber it does not return to the kitchen 😂

31 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I drilled holes in the sides of a measuring cup, and I hang it over the side of the tank to disperse the water when pouring it in from a bucket.  I use a 2.5 gallon bucket instead of 5 gallon, by the way.  I know it takes more trips, but I don't mind.

image.png.ece510db97c9e876367cca15f6a789eb.png

Okay that is way smart. I’ve been using a soap dish  with holes in it and I hate holding it. Might go to the dollar store and get one of these to drill some holes in! 

9 minutes ago, mouseturd13 said:

Okay that is way smart. I’ve been using a soap dish  with holes in it and I hate holding it. Might go to the dollar store and get one of these to drill some holes in! 

I'm glad you like it.  I've actually made two of them, and that's the first.  I don't have a picture of the second one, but it has fewer holes and works just as well.  After using this first version I realized that because of the way it hangs in the tank very little water was coming through the holes near the handle, so version 2 has them mostly on the side opposite the handle.