Welcome to the C.A.R.E Forum - Look here first.

Cory

On 9/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, JohnsFishBunker said:

@Patrick_G it’s so much worse than that, I have 8 10gal in storage currently so that when I move I can redo the rack for more Qt and grow out tanks. I got the linear piston pump a few months ago so I could stop buying HoBs and little air pumps… it’s bad. Thanks for the welcome!!

You’ll fit in well on this forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm baaack😁 Hello fellow fishkeepers,

Returning to the hobby and looking to learn what's new and what of my "Former knowledge" is still good. I kept livebearers for 20+ years and had to stop 6 years ago due to health issues. Starting over with a 10 gallon so I don't to too much damage starting over. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, mslindaw said:

I'm baaack😁 Hello fellow fishkeepers,

Returning to the hobby and looking to learn what's new and what of my "Former knowledge" is still good. I kept livebearers for 20+ years and had to stop 6 years ago due to health issues. Starting over with a 10 gallon so I don't to too much damage starting over. 

Welcome back, MsLinda!  It's like riding a bike... although I don't know that I remember how to do that either, so... bad example maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome back! I took a 20+ year hiatus. I've had a lot to learn (nitrogen cycle) but a lot (plants make everything better) is still valid. My biggest issue is differentiating between "new" and "better" because I've seen lots of fads and theories come and go, not necessarily in fishkeeping, but in life. A 10 is versatile and is a good place to start.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:01 PM, Ben (mtsa) malik said:

Greetings from North Georgia,

Hi "neighbor"! I'm also in North Georgia (eastern) and there's not much in the way of LFS around me. So glad I found Cory's channel and this forum! The few pet stores near me are mostly reptiles (not that there is anything wrong with that) so buying fish in person is usually an hour trip somewhere. Would love to compare notes sometime - you've got some lovely fish!

On 7/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, Sharon said:

I guess I should add that I'm a 74 yr-old grandma living on 22 acres with a horse, 4 dogs  8 cats, chickens, and some koi.

Hi Sharon! I thought I had hard water in VA when it was 7.9! Sounds like you are doing really well with it. I was in the hobby for years back in the 90s and got the bug again this year. Have gone from big to nano 🙂 with bettas, rasboras, snails and shrimp in addition to our farm dogs, chickens and cats! Are you also far out enough that you don't have much in the was of LFS support like I am? Curious to hear what other rural fishkeepers do to support their habit.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, Pash said:

I’m from SC.  Haven’t had a tank for @ 5 years, but just got my 55 setup and cycling.  Trying to figure out where I can hide the smaller tanks from my wife. 

Try hiding them in plain sight like I did with my husband - recently set up "his" nano tank, based on "his design" 😉 So now my second betta has his own 5 gallon Endor themed tank (complete with his requested At-At deco) in our den and is currently watching football with him. He actually helped choose suitable wood from our farm and learned how to prepare it for an aquarium and really enjoys plants, so the finished wood is decorated with emerged moss (also from our farm). Hubby is learning that our fish are just as personable and rewarding as our cats, dogs, and chickens!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, Stillaniris said:

Super Great idea of this forum... Pamela Fredieu here under my "other" title... Stillaniris... Love Aquarium Co-op... if they get any quicker in delivery they will be doing the ordering for me... I still wear my Angel Fish t-shirt I won on our other chat... Newbie here with 6, soon to be 9 tanks... Have a couple varieties of Angels, guppies, Rhads and Rainbows... A member of the Sacramento Aquarius Society... Been following Aquarium Co-op since March 2020. I have met some wonderful people here... Love Candi Overhuls (you rock girl!!!) ***photo of my 60g at start up with a couple of marble angels... Finn and Topper...

95504701_1063554864030643_7326275760916791296_n.jpg

Hey… I’m also from the Sacramento area, do you trade fish at the club meetings? 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, a fish keeping newbie from NE Indiana checking in! Just got into the hobby two months ago after seeing my dad’s hobby grow. I made a comment that I’d like to get into it and next thing I know he helped me set up my own planted 29g community tank. Now I’ve got various tank sizes sitting around ready to be set up, supplies for a cinder block rack on the way and just can’t stop watching fish-related YouTube videos… thanks dad! I watch old live streams from the coop about every night and try to soak in the info so I can make sure I do this right. Looking forward to learning from you all and meeting some like-minded folks!

• Like 5

Hey everyone hope all is well. Im from Tennessee and been in the hobby for about 5 years now ( a newbie lol ) and I heard about this forum through YouTube aquarium co-op channel. I've been subscribed to for about 3 years give or take. And I desperately been looking for a really good forum for help and showing my fish and tanks. Im looking forward to seeing and reading alot of your post! Thanks for the help ahead of time !! 

Here's one of my many fishtanks it houses 3 cherry barbs an Albino bristle nose pleco also a kribensis chiclid looking for another kribensis once i sex this one. I think its a female but slightly unsure. and hopefully they will breed for me. But for now im just enjoying watching them grow and taking care of them.

16336292820243413040739706648888.jpg

16336295229538104087680167852054.jpg

16336295708972262024557278847010.jpg

16336296500613900304660899516336.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Scott here from Pittsburgh, hence the handle.

Newb — spent about a month looking around, considering whether I’m willing to do the work required to get a nice tank together. I decided that I am and went for a 55 gallon — seems like lots of possibilities and it fits nicely in my apartment. I’ve got a Finnex planted light, a Fluval 406, a 250 w heater, a pump and a couple of air stones, a DIY stand from 2x8’s and cinder blocks, a master test kit, and miscellany.

It’s been set up with a few plants for about three weeks, an amazon sword, some kind of ludwigia, an unidentified red stem plant with water column roots like you’d see on some orchids, and some scarlet temple which I seem to be killing. I’m still acquiring miscellany.

I’ve had a few fish in since the second week — a couple of serpae tetras and four fruit tetras which…didn’t know when I bought ‘em, are dyed white skirts. 1-800-What’s up with that??? If I’d researched I’d wouldn’t have gone there on some partially thought through principle but I have ‘em now…there’s a moral in there somewhere…researching before, not after…I see it as kind of like adopting a three legged dog, not what I might imagine my dog life to be but you love it anyway…The fruities are here and they’re healthy and swim fast and seem to like their new home.

I’ve realized that a 75 would have given me more room to swing a net…the 55’s fine. It’ll be awesome.

Got nitrite — 0 ammonia yesterday am, nitrite between 1 and 2. Did 30% water change and dosed with Seed™. Yesterday pm between .25 and .50. I’ve been using Seed since the beginning and my ammonia has always been negligable. Has the Seed manifest enough to keep the ammonia down? Is this my nitrite spike?

Got algae — some green hair and fuzz. Vacuuming and glass cleaning. trying to keep my intense light period short.

I’m not adding any more fish for a while, perhaps a month? I’m going to watch and try to learn a thing or six. I’m going to pick some plants and plant this puppy up.

Does Cory accept PayPal?

I’ll write more elsewhere.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, JohnsFishBunker said:

Greetings Everyone!!! 

First time here and a first time fish keeper. I have been in the hobby since Christmas of 2020 when my SO's daughter got a betta. I started freaking out cause I didn't know how to take care of it and down the rabbit hole I went. 9 months later I have 13 active tanks and more tanks in storage for when I move to a house where I have more room. I got really lucky, my SO loves animals and thinks fish are "just adorable" so now I have way to many tanks.

All of that is to say that Aquarium-Coop has directly contributed to my addiction and absolutely to my education. It was Cory's videos that helped me along and I owe so much to the Coop. So here are my tanks with stories...

1731749050_Karastank.jpg.87888433c2ddcbc45ad61431deaacb33.jpg

The betta was in a one gal cube and that was to small and I felt bad for the guy so I immediately got a 10, and then came the clean up crew, Albino Cory's. Today we now have successfully breed those albinos. Sadly, the first betta passed because cycling fish tanks is hard when you're first starting out.

Next came the shrimp1032728474_Shrimptank.jpg.af0c0d2d30a340a2d8c03099f7631d0e.jpg

This guy was next. 5.5 desk tank that is still there. There are black rose shrimp and snails in here and over time different fish have gone in and out but the shrimp have stayed so this tank has been dubbed, Shrimp Castle

and then it took off from there

Tiger.jpg.881c14b7514c4612856bc721ba226e4a.jpg

Community.jpg.b5758448051bf62b3b146bdf1fe29897.jpg

bought 2 75's after about 2 months in the hobby. Top tank was meant to be an oscar tank and it took 9 months to get there. The bottom tank is a community tank and has gone through so many interations that it looks different about every 3 months. Top tank runs a 407 and bottom tank runs Lee's premium UGF.

Here's some close ups from the tanks

1294634628_communitybabyplecos.jpg.035a562024818f7aa7f97a37a9f9e8fe.jpg132955564_communityGuppies.jpg.9e3cae42c4cca354d0c56e3b4b310bd5.jpg1426925539_communityGuppies2.jpg.5a51396aaf93bf6b1ac2d6a0438ddf2d.jpgOscars.jpg.221e674113b04964754d63e2b260a7a8.jpg

1208149148_TigerBiggie.jpg.59f2f720e4fc31c2c584e55ed6a06ed8.jpg

I added a grow out cause the tanks had some aggressive fish thank needed a time out sometimes.

1450201213_5.5Growout.jpg.1bb86ce053a471477810fcc587ba5a49.jpg

Growout.jpg.8a51fc56f8f604d5964187135cda0930.jpg

Add what happened when I started diving deep into this... I had to quarantine...and i needed more room for a tank for that, so...

1670475136_Quarentinetanks.jpg.f024973083d48783ebb0b4ba87cf31a0.jpg

I clean them out regularly but my PH kept crashing when they were bare bottom so i ended up just planting them. They are cycling right now waiting for the next fish. This is the rack

1383173310_therack.jpg.25caf88cd09642f509c1b30b96105620.jpg

CPD's breeding experiment is next to the QT 

2136303300_CPDtank.jpg.ebfa8b683163a6629e951d326dee409c.jpg

This is also my Blue Dream grow out tank. above them is my first horrible attempts at aquascaping and what will be my guppy tanks. I have out door tubs that im getting ready to bring in and all those fish are going in those tanks.

1175483090_Peacetank.jpg.f9cbcebd96fedb5dec09680464403fa4.jpg

2078859483_Guppybreeder.jpg.7b92fe0b72844b3bf6a054f4f38f92b5.jpg

And the side is my shame. I'm a food horder

1540323602_siderack(2).jpg.830ca3200913a55a771de4b56536ed5f.jpg

Finally, I have a 20H sorority and a 6 gal Cube for a pea puffer. 

Soroity.jpg.bbdefd2d6c01c47cc84a735e3f449b09.jpg

546276177_6galcub.jpg.36c819a83a084ba2b3e120ced627aff4.jpg

Thanks everything, Thanks for reading. 

Those are beautiful tanks. I’m jealous of your food racks. Are those the hang on the door type baskets?  My racks are not wide enough (nail polish racks). I’m also a food hoarder🤣

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:53 PM, scott the fishman said:

ugh guys if i am not following rules for making a topic its because i cant seem to figure it out. i wanted to start a new topic my fish might be sick i made the title added content but no option to submit or send or create. any help would be awsome. 

F94CC1E6-1A3D-419E-ABB3-B9562D94A749.jpeg.e1b7d3cbb562d2408ef561ec366813bc.jpegEF9A8BD4-B544-47AD-84CA-CC31307A30AB.jpeg.e88362564222d50dbcf46823c5aaa997.jpeg Next to the reply to this topic is the start a new topic  after you fill out your topic and such at the bottom is the submit

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Fishkeepers!

I'm Dwight and I live just east of Raleigh, NC. I work full time, wife is retired, kids are grown and gone with families of their own. We've had cats for many years, all strays or shelter rescues, and loved them all. Their passing was always devastating, but we usually had two or more to soften the blow. When our last passed back in March, we decided to hold off on adopting a new cat and try something else.

Since I had aquariums (and Cichlids) many, many years ago (and "thought" I knew something about it), I felt that was the natural path. I'm finding I knew nowhere near what I thought I knew even though my Cichlids lived a happy and healthy life until I sold them to a local Richmond VA aquarium store because they kept trashing the tank. Only after he purchased them did he tell me I had a breeding pair...oh, well.

As I said, after the last of our cats passed in March, I decided to get back into the hobby. I currently have two tanks (used 10 gal purchased off Craigslist in early May and a new 20L from a PetSmart sale Memorial Day weekend). No fish at present as I'm struggling getting the tanks cycled since initial set up.

I'm here because I've made purchases from Aquarium Coop, subscribe to the YouTube channel and trust Cory's knowledge of fishkeeping. I feel like followers of Cory and Aquarium Coop would also be knowledgeable...

Since this is my first post, first day on the site, can someone be kind enough to point me to the most knowledgeable and informative forum to post questions about cycling my tanks? meanwhile, I'll just try to get the lay of the land, as it were.

Thanks so much and I look forward to this group!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, Dwight said:

I'm Dwight and I live just east of Raleigh, NC. I work full time, wife is retired, kids are grown and gone with families of their own. We've had cats for many years, all strays or shelter rescues, and loved them all. Their passing was always devastating, but we usually had two or more to soften the blow. When our last passed back in March, we decided to hold off on adopting a new cat and try something else.

Since I had aquariums (and Cichlids) many, many years ago (and "thought" I knew something about it), I felt that was the natural path. I'm finding I knew nowhere near what I thought I knew even though my Cichlids lived a happy and healthy life until I sold them to a local Richmond VA aquarium store because they kept trashing the tank. Only after he purchased them did he tell me I had a breeding pair...oh, well.

As I said, after the last of our cats passed in March, I decided to get back into the hobby. I currently have two tanks (used 10 gal purchased off Craigslist in early May and a new 20L from a PetSmart sale Memorial Day weekend). No fish at present as I'm struggling getting the tanks cycled since initial set up.

I'm here because I've made purchases from Aquarium Coop, subscribe to the YouTube channel and trust Cory's knowledge of fishkeeping. I feel like followers of Cory and Aquarium Coop would also be knowledgeable...

Since this is my first post, first day on the site, can someone be kind enough to point me to the most knowledgeable and informative forum to post questions about cycling my tanks? meanwhile, I'll just try to get the lay of the land, as it were.

Welcome. General discussion is where to post stuff like that. Very knowledgeable folks and KIND. Glad you are here

On 11/8/2021 at 8:18 AM, Dwight said:

It here are several categories to choose such as general, disease, journals. And more post in one of thoughts if you are not surepost in general. Ask a question and you will like get pointed in the right direction