Welcome to the C.A.R.E Forum - Look here first.

Cory

Hello from the shores of Lake Michigan! Our family is very intrigued by what goes on under the surface of the water. We had a tank over 20yrs ago because we thought it looked cool! Ha! This time our tank is a learning experience for kiddos and really all of us. Our hobbies are nature, hiking and newly added fishkeeping. I believe we just completed this tank with the exception of plants. But we shall see! We have rasboras, white cloud mt minnows, a cory, cherry and amano shrimp, panda gara. Snails, snails..... and did I mention snails? We are snail fans! 😄🐌💛 

Looking forward to learning from everyones experiences! 

20210617_161459.jpg

20210617_161339.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hi everyone, Patty here from Grand Junction, CO. Been keeping aquariums since i was 8, i am now 63. I have a minimum of around 25-30 tanks at any time, sometimes more. I have kept all kinds of fish, both freshwater and saltwater. I have a small maintenance company with a partner. We do fresh, salt and ponds. I am getting ready to rearrange my hatchery so i can add more tanks and work on some of my breeding projects. LOL i have to many to count right now. These are just a few of the fish i have kept over the years, wishing i had more pics of all the different ones i have kept. I am looking forward to learning from everyone and sharing some of my knowledge. IMG_20180901_134313.jpg.6092b9889022994b8741711d1b62c67d.jpg

IMG_20180109_125021.jpg

003.JPG

PICT0151.JPG

DSC_3294.jpg

IMG_20180901_134317.jpg

nano tank.jpg

WP_20150322_018.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 8/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, Dammiguessaqua said:

Hey there everybody, greetings from Southern California. Check out my instagram and YouTube channel Dammiguessaqua. Some of the species that I’m currently keeping are: 5 different color morphs of medaka rice fish, Dark knight rams, shell dwellers multies, CPD’s,  pseudomugil luminatus, crystal red shrimp, guppies, and more......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwCGkZm8evDzF1MRR3B9xkA

How are the different types of rice fish going for you? I'm interested in getting some, but am not sure what kind to get.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, Daniel said:

Welcome Dammiguessaqua! I have just started keeping rice fish. I am pleasantly surprised how interesting and pretty they are.

Daniel, what do you like about ricefish? I'm interested in keeping some, but am still looking into them.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:30 PM, CoelacanthChild said:

How are the different types of rice fish going for you? I'm interested in getting some, but am not sure what kind to get.

Daniel, what do you like about ricefish? I'm interested in keeping some, but am still looking into them.

What I like about the rice fish is they are tough as nails with seemingly low maintenance requirements. They are active colorful top water fish which makes them excellent for outdoor ponds and pools.

My rice fish keeping technique is beyond minimal. I bought half a dozen last year and put them in my big Daphnia pool. I see them everyday but I haven't ever fed them or netted many out. During the first summer their numbers increased exponentially, but over the winter their population dropped to 2 or 3 dozen.

This year I added angelfish and swordtails to the pool and I think the angelfish eat a fair amount of rice fish. Naturally the Daphnia population is very small at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:19 AM, Daniel said:

What I like about the rice fish is they are tough as nails with seemingly low maintenance requirements. They are active colorful top water fish which makes them excellent for outdoor ponds and pools.

My rice fish keeping technique is beyond minimal. I bought half a dozen last year and put them in my big Daphnia pool. I see them everyday but I haven't ever fed them or netted many out. During the first summer their numbers increased exponentially, but over the winter their population dropped to 2 or 3 dozen.

This year I added angelfish and swordtails to the pool and I think the angelfish eat a fair amount of rice fish. Naturally the Daphnia population is very small at this point.

Ricefish sound like a good first choice then! I appreciate the info!

What are your winters like? I'm in a Hardiness Zone 7a. Should I drag an extension cord out with an inexpensive heater set to it's lowest setting for winter?

On 6/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, CoelacanthChild said:

Ricefish sound like a good first choice then! I appreciate the info!

I'm in a Hardiness Zone 7a. Should I drag an extension cord out with an inexpensive heater set to it's lowest setting for winter?

I live in 7a (near Chapel Hill, NC). The pool is fairly big, so didn't freeze over. I don't think heaters are needed.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:58 AM, Nicks Aquatics said:

Yes! I've had a few striped raphael's but this one amazes me the most with it's spotted pattern. I plan on buying more when in stock to try breeding once they mature @Colu

That would be an interesting breeding project

• Like 1

Greetings everybody!

I am from Gauteng, South Africa. Here is a photo of my tank. I currently have one black and white Molly, eight Glowlight Tetras & two Otocinclus. (not sure what the plural of Otocinclus is)

I am a relatively long time fan of the Youtube channel and a Nerm in training. 

PSX_20210624_175921.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:44 AM, ParaVagans said:

Greetings everybody!

I am from Gauteng, South Africa. Here is a photo of my tank. I currently have one black and white Molly, eight Glowlight Tetras & two Otocinclus. (not sure what the plural of Otocinclus is)

I am a relatively long time fan of the Youtube channel and a Nerm in training. 

PSX_20210624_175921.jpg

Welcome to the forum

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 1:00 AM, NonnaBeans said:

Hi, Danielle! I'm LaDonna. I'm fairly near Houston, Texas. Your tank is beautiful. I've never kept aquatic turtles but I shared my home for several years with a geriatric and somewhat spoiled Russian tortoise who'd been rehomed following the death of his previous guardian. Like you I joined fishkeeping as a kid. My hiatus was about 20 years. I was really missing it so I'm back and learning the new stuff. Right now I have an odd looking betta in a 15 liter BiOrb and I'm setting up what I intend to be a lightly stocked 20 gallon with a mixture of live and silk plants. I plan to try introducing the betta into the community tank. I have a Plan B if he turns out to be aggressive. 

Welcome to the forum

On 4/26/2021 at 1:57 AM, cleoismyspiritanimal said:

Hello everyone! Greetings from MI.  I found my way to Aquarium Co-op videos while looking up information on tanks and goldfish.  From there I found the live streams and while watching the stream earlier today I saw the link to the forums. So here I am!

My fishkeeping journey started two months ago with a 39g tank and stand which is home to four goldfish.  I started with 6 however there was an ick outbreak and I lost two.  😿 During my search for info on how to treat ick, I found the Aquarium Co-op videos on YouTube.  Thankfully I was able to successfully treat the tank and while there were casualties I now have a better grasp of what to do for my remaining goldies.  And the addition of a 10g quarantine/hospital tank. 

Special thanks to Irene's video on water changes, I have a good log of water parameters and have reigned in the feeding much to the chagrin of my fish. I  do a 10-20% water change each week but this has come down from the 20% I was doing daily during the first month.

Short-term goals:
-Continue to log water parameters and observe what is working well
-Find a better way to keep java moss out of the filter. (Currently using an old, clean! knee hi nylon in the 10g but will need a way to contain it in the 39g)
-Monitor Shu's (the shubunkin) suspected ammonia burn (what I thought were brown speckles have been 'coming off'? and revealing different colors)
-Monitor Baby's (red cap oranda) tail as part was lost in the ick battle and a bit seems to be growing back in bent
-Continue to work with all to be comfortable with people to make it easier to monitor these guys

Mid-to long term goals:
-Keep an eye out for larger tank at reasonable price as larger tank will be needed as these guys grow
-Research greenhouse pond set ups in MI

4A08B3F5-782C-4502-9FA0-71DD74688EEF.jpeg

P1011127 (2).JPG

P1011155 (2).JPG

Welcome to the herd

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, Zoidar said:

Hi guys, 

I'm Peter, live in Sweden. I found this forum through youtube. I have had an aquarium for about a year, so I'm new to this hobby. I started out with 120 liters and recently upgraded to 240 liters. Fishes are black and green neons and panda corys, and shrimps. I hope to learn more to keep my fish happy and healthy. God bless! 

received_450592149375264.jpeg

Welcome to the forum nice tank

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:01 PM, Spicy Reef said:

I everybody,

Nice forum! Thanks for getting this going Cory! 

I got back into this about a year ago... many years back I had a 30 gallon saltwater. This was my first tank. I really should have started with fresh water as the saltwater route has way too many equipment tangents for me to get lost on. After about 2-3 years of fumbling in the dark - no internet at the time (dates me) I ended up being successful with a very simple setup.

I would have started with salt again, but I came across discus! Cool, so I fetched my 30 gallon out of the shed... bing bang boom I've been off to the races 🙂

IMG_0360.JPG

Welcome to the forum nice discus

• Like 1

Hey, everybody!  Greetings from Alabama!

New fishkeeper here, for the second time.  I had an aquarium as a teenager and have just started another in my mid-thirties.  From what I remember of the old tank my brother and I had some kind of gouramis, a cichlid of some sort, corys, hatchetfish, some kind of loach I believe, and who knows what else.  We didn't have any real plants and got all of our fish from Wal-Mart back then.  It actually lasted a pretty good while until the heater in it went berserk and cooked everything while we were away on vacation.  Still not sure exactly how that happened, but it was the end of my fishkeeping for a long time.

Fast forward to being a middle aged dad.  My mom gets my young son a tadpole.  We raised him into a frog and he lived in a 29 gallon aquarium that I made into a frog habitat for what turned out to be a bullfrog.  He was thriving, mowing down crickets, generally being a pretty chill dude until he died rather suddenly.  I am pretty sure that he ate one of the mystery snails that were cleaning the water portion of his tank and wasn't able to digest it properly.  Rest easy, bro.  

So, no more keeping frogs in the house.  Going to dig a little pond in the backyard and let the frogs that already live in my area hang out there.

What to do with the aquarium, then?  

I start using it for its intended purpose, but do everything wrong which results in several tetras and guppies dying.  I do more research, find resources like Aquarium Coop, and now have a pretty decent thing going (I hope).  Found a good dedicated fish store only about 45 minutes away and have a planted tank with some corys, kuhli loaches, rasboras, tiger endlers, dannios, a gang of amano shrimp, the mystery snail that the frog did not eat (and a few little hitchhiker snails), and a dwarf flame gourami (Gimli Gloin, as he's a dwarf) who struts around like he owns the place.  

I am amazed at a lot of the pictures and videos people are posting in here of their beautiful aquascapes!  I really look forward to talking with and learning from y'all!  I'll get a more comprehensive view of my humble little world up later, but for now here's the Amano crew enjoying their newest toy:

Edited by Scrum Fish
  • Like 2

Welcome and hello from near Houston, Texas! I'm doing the "re-newb" thing, too, after a 20 year hiatus. I bought a BiOrb and a betta which almost immediately wasn't enough. I then bought a 20 gallon and all the requisite "stuff" but haven't been able to set it up just yet. So I bought a 10 gallon which my 7 yo grandsons have hijacked, lol. They're earning ownership of it by "leveling up" their fishkeeping skills. I absolutely love that you named your gourami Gimli Gloin. That's perfect!

20210623_174656.jpg

20210623_174628.jpg

20210620_081911.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, Scrum Fish said:

Hey, everybody!  Greetings from Alabama!

New fishkeeper here, for the second time.  I had an aquarium as a teenager and have just started another in my mid-thirties.  From what I remember of the old tank my brother and I had some kind of gouramis, a cichlid of some sort, corys, hatchetfish, some kind of loach I believe, and who knows what else.  We didn't have any real plants and got all of our fish from Wal-Mart back then.  It actually lasted a pretty good while until the heater in it went berserk and cooked everything while we were away on vacation.  Still not sure exactly how that happened, but it was the end of my fishkeeping for a long time.

Fast forward to being a middle aged dad.  My mom gets my young son a tadpole.  We raised him into a frog and he lived in a 29 gallon aquarium that I made into a frog habitat for what turned out to be a bullfrog.  He was thriving, mowing down crickets, generally being a pretty chill dude until he died rather suddenly.  I am pretty sure that he ate one of the mystery snails that were cleaning the water portion of his tank and wasn't able to digest it properly.  Rest easy, bro.  

So, no more keeping frogs in the house.  Going to dig a little pond in the backyard and let the frogs that already live in my area hang out there.

What to do with the aquarium, then?  

I start using it for its intended purpose, but do everything wrong which results in several tetras and guppies dying.  I do more research, find resources like Aquarium Coop, and now have a pretty decent thing going (I hope).  Found a good dedicated fish store only about 45 minutes away and have a planted tank with some corys, kuhli loaches, rasboras, tiger endlers, dannios, a gang of amano shrimp, the mystery snail that the frog did not eat (and a few little hitchhiker snails), and a dwarf flame gourami (Gimli Gloin, as he's a dwarf) who struts around like he owns the place.  

I am amazed at a lot of the pictures and videos people are posting in here of their beautiful aquascapes!  I really look forward to talking with and learning from y'all!  I'll get a more comprehensive view of my humble little world up later, but for now here's the Amano crew enjoying their newest toy:

Welcome to the forum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new here, from Ohio. Getting  back into fish keeping after 14 years away.  Have had my tank up and running since March.  I am really enjoying slowly adding the fish and for the first time trying live plants.  I look forward to checking out more of the forum and getting to know all of you. And sharing my new aquarium with all of you.  I have been having a great time aqua scaping, it may not be to everyone's taste but I am very happy with it. 

IMG_0276 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi everyone, I'm Dustin greetings from Wisconsin. Glad to be here and able to talk some fish. I've been in the hobby for almost a year now. I'm currently breeding variatus platies and green corydoras. Here's one of my 2 tanks. Still figuring some fertilizing out, there than that everything's going great.

IMG_20210702_220416_531.jpg

IMG_20210626_204228.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1