Are my guppies pregnant? And other questions from a beginner

Squid88

I got 5 guppies a few weeks ago, 3 females 2 males and added them to my 20 gallon planted aquarium. I think a couple of my female guppies are pregnant and I was wondering if I should move the females to a holding tank to give birth? if so should I have some sort of separation in that tank? Is there a certain time I should move the females? Are there any visual resources that show like the stages of guppy pregnancy? Is hikari first bites enough to raise guppy fry or do I need to order brine shrimp eggs from the Co-op? Thank you for all you help!

Included photos of the possibly pregnant females together and then the males and other female in the tank. 

female guppy prego.jpg

male guppy1.jpg

male guppy2.jpg

PXL_20210105_185221997.jpg

the female in the first pic is for sure pregnant. the one in the last pic, maybe. after a female guppy is a few months old, and has been exposed to male guppies, it is a 99.9999999% chance she is pregnant. whether to separate the females, depends on how many guppy's you want, and what you want to do with them.

as for fry food for baby guppies, just about anything will work. co-op fry food is good etc, just about any normal fish food you can crumble up into almost dust will work just fine.

Always assume guppies are pregnant.

That first one is getting close to dropping her fry. If you want to save as many fry as possible you can place her in a breeder box with some moss and duck weed. Raising the temp a few degrees will help her along.

First bites or crushed flake will be fine starter food.

Otherwise she will drop on her own but the fry will be snacks. Also works as a way to help keep the population from getting out of control.

• Like 1

As others have stated if a female guppy has been with a male at all shes pregnant. Lol

I never move my females or the fry ....the fry are raised right in the tank with the parents. My guppies all learn there is never a shortage of food and do not got after their fry. When I've purchased new strains I've noticed some will go after their fry at first but after being with me for a little while they get fat and lazy..... why chase that fry when food lady feeds us multiple times a day lol

If you do want to do a breeding net puts some live plants in there stress can cause a female to either abort or hold her fry.

Good luck. In a few months you. Should have more guppies than you know what to do with!

20210104_231058_1.gif

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the advise! I moved the darkest female to a separate tank. I was wanting to save this batch of fry if I can, I have neon tetras in the tank with my adult guppies so I was worried the neon's would eat the fry too. This first batch of fry I am going to try and sell to my LFS to give that a try.