Hydrogen peroxide for fish eggs

Dale H

Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone has tried hydrogen peroxide to keep fish eggs from fungusing up? If so how many ml per gal,I have a 1 gal tank I'm using to hatch my apistos and want to try this method any help would be great thanks

I have used hydrogen peroxide before, I didn't go by a certain ml per gallon or anything. I have used for cory eggs, I put them in a small catch cup with about two cups of water and added four drops of the hydrogen peroxide. After 24 hours I take a turkey baster and suck out half the water, replace with fresh water out of the tank, and add three more drops of hydrogen peroxide, then leave it go. If IO do see unfertilized eggs, I remove with a pipette or turkey baster. I have seen on here that @Fish Folk has used it to, so hopefully they will chime in as well.

We use H2O2 on some eggs - rams, angelfish, Acara, corydoras. Our “rule of thumb” is 1 ml. / per 1 gal. Since we use 1/2 gal. specimen containers, we use 1/2 ml. We dose ever 12 hrs for 3x doses. We do not spray directly on eggs, but just into the water allowing the airstone to spread. We have overdosed once or twice. We use over-the-counter 3% H2O2. Also, we are starting to add one thumbnail sized piece of Catappa leaf and one or two alder cones to cost tan is and fight off fungus. We know a few breeders who actually stick a neocaridina shrimp into their egg container because they eat unfertilized eggs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I also have been putting neo shrimp out of my cull tank in with the eggs

Do you use adult shrimp? Or younger ones? We've got a small but thriving batch of Cherry Shrimp that we'd like to try this with. Killifish eggs take forever to hatch (14-21 days) and fungus over easily. And our last batch of Cory eggs also succumbed to fungus . . . (mostly because we got lazy)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Do you use adult shrimp? Or younger ones? We've got a small but thriving batch of Cherry Shrimp that we'd like to try this with. Killifish eggs take forever to hatch (14-21 days) and fungus over easily. And our last batch of Cory eggs also succumbed to fungus . . . (mostly because we got lazy)

Ive used juveniles and adults before. and not had any issues with either.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2021 at 8:35 AM, Fish Folk said:

We use H2O2 on some eggs - rams, angelfish, Acara, corydoras. Our “rule of thumb” is 1 ml. / per 1 gal. Since we use 1/2 gal. specimen containers, we use 1/2 ml. We dose ever 12 hrs for 3x doses. We do not spray directly on eggs, but just into the water allowing the airstone to spread. We have overdosed once or twice. We use over-the-counter 3% H2O2. Also, we are starting to add one thumbnail sized piece of Catappa leaf and one or two alder cones to cost tan is and fight off fungus. We know a few breeders who actually stick a neocaridina shrimp into their egg container because they eat unfertilized eggs. 

Do you do water changes inbetween the doses ? I’m apprehensive to add another dose of it needs to be removed. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

No water changes. Much depends on how exactly you are set up. We float hatching trays in larger tanks.

Thank you so much for your response. They laid on a leaf so the leaf is placed in a 2.5g black water cycled aquarium with heater , sponge filter and catappa leaves. I did one dose of the peroxide. We’ve only had 15or so eggs go white out of a few hundred but I’d prefer to keep as many healthy as possible! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Bettabythedozen said:

Thank you so much for your response. They laid on a leaf so the leaf is placed in a 2.5g black water cycled aquarium with heater , sponge filter and catappa leaves. I did one dose of the peroxide. We’ve only had 15or so eggs go white out of a few hundred but I’d prefer to keep as many healthy as possible! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. 

Typically, black water does its own good work of acting as an anti-fungal. Just do not squirt the H2O2 directly onto the eggs. Only use ca. 0.5 ml. I only dose twice, once and then again after 12 hrs. I do add an ayirstone.

What species? 

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, Fish Folk said:

Typically, black water does its own good work of acting as an anti-fungal. Just do not squirt the H2O2 directly onto the eggs. Only use ca. 0.5 ml. I only dose twice, once and then again after 12 hrs. I do add an ayirstone.

What species? 

thank you so much! The tannins were a lesson learned from Cory fry! I believe they’re both hybrids, I got them as rescues while working at my LFS , their previous owner disliked their aggressive behaviors but misunderstood that it was just them right before breeding claiming territory. They both have koi genetics. Dad is veiltail koi/golden marble and momma is silver/koi with silver blue body and orange forehead! I’m not the best at identifying angel species quite yet so these are guesses!