Tanks hanging off the edge of a stand?

Joshua14

I have a cinder block stand and I want to move some tanks around. I would like to put them on the stand in a "portrait" layout to maximize space. But the stand isn't wide enough and the tanks will hang off the edge. I've seen other fishrooms do this, I was just wondering what's the likelihood of a tank failing being set up like this? I thought of putting down a sheet of plywood across the top to counter the weight. I'm also curious if it would be possible to line the tanks up flush with the front of the stand and having just the rear hang off the back? 

What does everyone think?

42 minutes ago, Joshua14 said:

I have a cinder block stand and I want to move some tanks around. I would like to put them on the stand in a "portrait" layout to maximize space. But the stand isn't wide enough and the tanks will hang off the edge. I've seen other fishrooms do this, I was just wondering what's the likelihood of a tank failing being set up like this? I thought of putting down a sheet of plywood across the top to counter the weight. I'm also curious if it would be possible to line the tanks up flush with the front of the stand and having just the rear hang off the back? 

What does everyone think?

24 minutes ago, Joshua14 said:

I'm at work and need to measure again. But I believe it was around 8 inches.

Oh idk then the you should be fine as long as it’s a bigger tank and I would do 4 inches on either side the most I’ve done is 2 on each but with that much overhang I would be Concerned that the front glass might fall out because it has no support but I’ve never tried with that much so I can’t say for certain what might happen but that’s my guess of what might happened 

22 minutes ago, Dancing Matt said:

My question is, aren't the tanks designed to carry weight on the corners? Would this unnaturally strain the tank? I have been thinking about doing this with some ten gallons...

Yes they are, which is why the Aquarium Coop store racks work.