I hope someone can offer some fish keeper Veteren advice. 

I am trying to source the best air pump for my current needs.  6 medium and 6 small CoOp sponge filters, all in standard 10 gallon tanks. These tanks are in my living area, so noise level is a major priority. I am also on a fairly tight budget. 

In addition,  is there a standard gallon per hour to achieve proper filtration? How do you calculate air needed for 12 filters. 

Thank you for any advice.  

Keeping in mind this is hideously back of the napkin, I’d say maybe 50-60gph (air, not water) for the mediums and 30-40gph for the smalls. That depends on how fast you want to drive them (more air isn’t always better) and is based off how Fluval rates the Q series pumps. It also assumes that the pump isnt having to push through a ton of extra air line (ie, 6 feet below the tanks etc).

The cheapest option is to make a pvc header and use one pump to drive the lot. Not likely to be the quietest option though, which might be using the little USB pumps or similar.

Edited by AdamTill

The aquarium co-op usb nano air pump will work great for your spongefilters all though you would need six of the air pumps. Overall it will cost you $60 + tax and shipping. They are very quite and can be hung from your tank with the clip it comes with which makes it even quiter. 

The liear piston air pump is also a great air pump, I've never tried it but I have great things about it. I have also heard of it being very quite. The only probelm you may have with is its $260 (I think) so its not the most budget freindly airpump. 

Thanks for the response.  I should have mentioned that I am currently using the nano pumps. I do love how quiet they are but they are not quite giving the power I desire. Not to mention all of the power cords I have pluged into one outlet.  I am searching for a one pump system using a gang valve.  I wish the linear piston pump was in my budget. Sadly, its not. 

Thanks