Bunch of questions

Harpsandfish

1) If my water quality numbers are good and rarely vary much, the water is clear and the fish and inverts appear happy, how often should I do water changes?

2) I dosed the tank Sunday with the meds trio because one of the tetras appeared to have a bacterial infection and I don’t have a qt tank. (I will be getting one shortly). The directions in the Coop article say don’t feed the fish for a week - does that include plants, too? I use Easy Green

3) If I find I need to add Wonder Shell or calcium in the substrate or HOB, which is best?

I thank you in advance for your help. This forum gives me the confidence that I can keep my little critters heathy!

ill give #1 a shot. if your numbers all look good, and the tank doesnt look dirty, and the inhabitants look healthy and happy, you dont really need to do a water change. the more well balanced an aquarium is, the longer it can go between water changes. let the numbers, and the visual clues guide you. if numbers start climbing, or the tank looks dirty, then its time to do something.

I also can't help with 2 or 3, but here's my thoughts on 1.  When in doubt, do a water change.  I can't even remember the last time I tested my water.  I just routinely change at least 25% weekly.  Occasionally I'll get busy and skip a week without any ill effects, but I try not to.

Here's another way to look at it.  By the time you test your water to see if it's time to do a water change you could be halfway through with doing the water change.

• Like 1

1. We do water changes to lower nitrates. If the nitrates arent high no need to water change just keep topping off the water.

2. You are treating the fish not the plants so I dont see any reason why you wouldnt keep dosing EG on your normal schedule.

3. I put a Wondershell in my HOB and it dissolved rapidly. I then put the next one hidden behind some wood on top of the substrate a month later and it is taking much longer to dissolve.

@Daniel oh I read that! I understand that it basically adds minerals to the tank but I was wondering if it's a necessity. Do I really only know that if I do more advanced testing -- gh/kh? Or if I see signs of deficiency? Or is it one of those things that I automatically need of I have things like snails and shrimp? 

I use a lot of reverse osmosis water in my biggest aquarium. The big aquarium is where I get all my water change water from. So in those aquariums that have livebearers I throw in a piece of Wonder-Shell to keep some amount of hardness in the water that wouldn't otherwise be there. Because it takes little work or thought on my part and just slowly dissolves over time it fits my style of fishkeeping. I haven't done any testing, and it isn't automatic either, just instinct.

• Like 1

I'll take a stab at all 3.

1) you need to do a water change when your nitrates get higher than you want them. Some tanks never build up nitrates because they are densely planted. My tanks like that get monthly water changes just to replenish some of the minerals supplied by my tap water. 

2)I'm actually gonna say don't fertilize while medicating. The reason it's recommended to not feed while medicating is so nitrates don't build up in the water and cause stress which slows the healing process. When you fertilize you are adding nitrates. Your plants should be fine without ferts for a week.

3) I put the wondershell in my tank hidden behind plants or hardscape. That way inverts can graze on it if they need extra calcium in addition to it addi g calcium to the water. 

Those are just my opinions on the topics there's more than one right answer and the best one is the one that works for you. 

• Like 1