HELP! Cycling Planted Tank

AmberF

I'm in the process of cycling my planted 29 gallon tank, fishless.  For the past week I've been stuck with high Nitrates and it won't budge.  My plants have almost doubled in size and new sprouts, have some brown and hair algae growing.  Pest snails are multiplying at an insane rate.  I did a 50% water change last night and it only lowered my Nitrates down some.  Tested again this morning and no change from the past week.  I've done 2 water changes total, set up tank on Dec 19th.  FYI, my tap water is testing with 1.0 ammonia, first week Ammonia readings were 2.0-4.0.  

Today reading: PH: 7.8; Amm: .25, Nitrite: 5.0, Nitrate 20, GH 60, KH 80, tank temp 78  Test Strip: Nitrite 3, Nitrate 20

Past week: PH 7.8; Amm: 0-.25, Nitrite: 5.0, Nitrate 40, GH 120, KH 80, temp 78

Dosing: 3 pumps of Easy Green once week, have root tabs in the substrate.  Using Prime with water change/adding water. API master test kit & API test, strips, small & medium sponge filter running.

Have a bottle Zyme 7, have not used yet.  Should I add to the tank now or wait until Nitrites drop?  I've heard it works best if you add fish with the zyme 7, as the bacteria will die off without fish.  Not sure if that's true.  Do I keep doing water changes? If so, how often?

This will be a community: guppy/endler, kulhi loach, cherry shrimp, oto's tank.  

Any advice or guidance will be helpful.  

I put a small amount of fish food in Daly to feed beneficial bacteria when I do a fish less cycle if you have pest snail they will be providing nutrients to feed your bacterial I would not add fish till you get a reading of zero on ammonia and nitrites 

Edited by Colu

3 minutes ago, Colu said:

I put a small amount of fish food in Daly to feed beneficial bacteria when I do a fish less cycle if you have pest snail they will be providing nutrients to feed your bacterial I would not add fish till you get a reading of zero on ammonia and nitrites 

Edited just now by Colu

I have added some fish food a couple of times, but not regularly.  I would never add fish with my nitrites off the charts, honestly have no idea how high it is since the test chart stops at 5.0.  My ammonia level only has a slight green to it depending on the light.  I have a hard time determining the colors on the chart.  Do you think adding fish food will help drop the nitrites? 

5 minutes ago, lefty o said:

i would get the bacteria starter in the tank now. you have plants, you have snails, the bacteria will grow

After I add the bacteria, what action should I take next? Do water changes weekly or just wait till the Nitrites drop?

thank you!

2 minutes ago, lefty o said:

put it in today, test your water tomorrow. when the numbers look good, add fish. i would also cut back to 1 or 2 pumps of easy green a week, until things settle in

Thank you, I was wondering if I was adding to much fertilizer at the beginning.  Thank you!  The waiting is starting to get to me, lol.   I'm kinda glad I had some hitchhikers with the plants, it's given something to watch daily.  

things will balance out faster, and easier with the bacteria starter. the bacteria is basically a massive jump start to your cycle. in other words, it really gives you an almost instant cycle. you have plants, and snails so you are well on your way. with the additional bacteria, a little less ferts for a while, and not too many initial water changes the tank will balance out quickly.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, lefty o said:

things will balance out faster, and easier with the bacteria starter. the bacteria is basically a massive jump start to your cycle. in other words, it really gives you an almost instant cycle. you have plants, and snails so you are well on your way. with the additional bacteria, a little less ferts for a while, and not too many initial water changes the tank will balance out quickly.

Lefty o, I'm still battling high nitrite levels.  I've not added any easy green. Have added the full bottle of Zyme 7.   I don't understand why the Nitrites are staying between 1.0-5.0.   

I setup a 10g and it has high nitrite reading as well, but has started to drop down to 1.0.  Both tanks are reading 0 ammonia.  

I don't know what to do.  Beyond frustrated at this point.  Any thoughts of why nitrites are not converting?   Great new plant growth and brown & hair algae all over the tank and sand.  

Thank you

Just keep giving it time. Every tank is going to cycle at different rates. I’m doing the same thing with a 20 long right now. Going on day 3 of it set up and running. And I’m noticing my readings are changing so it’s in the works. Just have to stay patient. I also used fritz zyme for my tank to give it that jump start. I also don’t have any fish in mine just 2 narite snails and one cherry shrimp that was on a plant I bought haha. I’m just trying to power feed the snails some zucchini and just sit back and watch. 

• Like 2

Weird. It sounds like the bacteria that take nitrite to nitrate just haven’t built up their populations yet. Are you still doing regular water changes? If so I might try *not* changing water for a bit and just see what happens. Since your water has ammonia, it will be easier to tell what’s going on if you don’t change water. And since you don’t have fish yet there shouldn’t be any harm in letting things be.

Even though it’s slow it does sound like you’re making progress!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cole said:

Just keep giving it time. Every tank is going to cycle at different rates. I’m doing the same thing with a 20 long right now. Going on day 3 of it set up and running. And I’m noticing my readings are changing so it’s in the works. Just have to stay patient. I also used fritz zyme for my tank to give it that jump start. I also don’t have any fish in mine just 2 narite snails and one cherry shrimp that was on a plant I bought haha. I’m just trying to power feed the snails some zucchini and just sit back and watch. 

Good luck with cycling, hopefully yours will cycle quickly.  

22 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Weird. It sounds like the bacteria that take nitrite to nitrate just haven’t built up their populations yet. Are you still doing regular water changes? If so I might try *not* changing water for a bit and just see what happens. Since your water has ammonia, it will be easier to tell what’s going on if you don’t change water. And since you don’t have fish yet there shouldn’t be any harm in letting things be.

Even though it’s slow it does sound like you’re making progress!

I've not changed the water for week and half, just topped it off.  I'm going to let be and see what happens over the next week.  I noticed a drop in Nitrates last night down to .25 in both tanks.  At least it's not off the charts now.  Hoping with in the next week it will drop down to 0.  

Thank you for responding, helping me stay the course and do nothing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colu said:

Have you tested your tap water for nitirtes

Yes, last night they had dropped down to .25.  Finally seeing something change.  Ammonia is still at 0.  I'm going to let it be for another week without any water changes and see what happens.  I've watched the cycling plants 101 about a dozen times and I think it messed with my head when it says if you see plant growth and algae you should be able to add fish.  Fingers crossed, it will drop to 0 soon.  

Also, I had agreed to purchase and pick up some cherry shrimp from a local person on this Saturday.  Thinking my tank would be ready over a week ago.  Hopefully he will hold them for another 2 weeks.  I'd like to have stable water for at least a week if not longer before I add them.  

Thank you