Generic vs brand name bleach- Purigen

FishyJames

The last time I regenerated purigen I used "great value" bleach and the purigen only lightened up to about 50% of its original color.  I thought I had used up a number of its lives due to the large amount of tannins removed.  However, this time I used clorox on the same bag and the color came back to just about original color.

I normally think generic products, especially ones with the same ingredients, were fairly equal.  I now know when it comes to bleach there is a difference.  Both were new jugs of non scented and not "splashless" bleach.  

Has anybody else noticed this?

I don't know a thing about purigen but know a little about bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution). Household bleach can be anywhere from 3% to 6% sodium hypochlorite and can contain all kinds other stuff you probably don't want in your aquarium. It has a surprisingly short shelf life, 1-2% drop in sodium hypochlorite in as little as a couple months. The labels are somewhat useless as far contents other than water and sodium hypochlorite go but the MSDS will get you there. Where I used it we bought plain clorox brand and got rid of it after 6 months from date of manufacture. We were pretty worried about purity of contents and strength.

• Like 1

We were using it to decontaminate chemical weapons and the people doing so. It was important. We eliminated 44% of the US stockpile of chemical weapons. You're welcome.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1