crushed shells substrate and salt treatments

DON

I plan on setting up a 125 gallon tank with plants. What plants will grow in my crushed shells substrate? Also I treat my fish with salt on and off. Will the plants tolerate salt? I want floating plants and a carpet type plant. Please advise.

Most plants do not like salt. There are a few that can. The only one that I have experience with tolerating some salt is anubias barteri nana. It wasn't too bothered by the salt at 1 Tbsp per five gallons that I used. 

How coarse is the crushed shells substrate, and is it the only thing being used, or are you mixing it with something? Are you using it to buffer the water? I'm just asking because I haven't really seen anybody use a sole substrate of shells in a freshwater tank, except maybe an African cichlid tank to buffer the pH of the water. 

There are actually quite a few plants that can handle salt in the water. Vallisneria, dwarf sag, anubias, dwarf hair grass, java fern, and bacopa, just to name a few. The key thing is to add the salt slowly and see how the plants handle it. Some can handle more than others, and any plant that is struggling won't handle it well at all. I always try and find out where plants naturally grow when researching them. You'll find that there are many that will grow in brackish water.....