Efrojd

Hello,

I am just wondering what color freshwater shrimp people are interested in.  I have 4 different colors ( Cherry, Blue Dimond, Orange Rili and Yellow Goldenback's) Each time I get a new color I fall more and more in love. I would love Green Jades but from my understanding they don't breed true and I rather not have that in my tank if. 

What is your favorite? Can be Neos and Caridina! 

Have a Great New Year! 

Eric

Edited by Efrojd
spelling
  • Like 1

I very much am undecided; I'll get neocaridinas soon but I don't know what colour to look for. It would be nice with two colours that is likely to breed interestingly. But I might just pick a bunch of reds. Getting into the genetics is a bit daunting.

Red neocaridinas are pretty cool, but I like them all.

My plan is to have 4 or 5 10g tanks each with a different color and then putting the surplus into a large community tank.  I think seeing all the colors in one tank is pretty cool.

• Like 1

I have red and blue neos, and culls from both in another tank.  Many of my blues are so dark they're almost black, but I prefer the ones that are a little lighter so they're a definite blue. 

To be honest, I also spend a fair bit of time watching the cull tanks, since I never know what will pop up in it.

I have yellow neocaridina in one aquarium and blue bolt (blue and white) caridina in another. I love them all! I started with 10 yellows. A few died but one had babies, and three of those survived - incredible, as they were in with dwarf emerald danios who hang out mostly near the bottom. I started with 11 teeny baby blue bolts (1/4-1/2") and they stay hidden. I can hardly ever find more than 2. I'm hoping in a few months to see them! My rasboras have gone after them a few times so I hope none got nipped, but the rassies never go to the bottom, so as long as any babies stay low, they should be okay. The caridina species gets a little bigger than neos, and likes softer water, so they're perfect for that tank setup. Once they are grown they'll be almost the same length as the rasboras and be left alone or just flaired at in passing. The shrimp are quick as lightning when they jump away - they must have a spring-like body part that reacts to touch! I do wish my LFS carried them - i feel like they're behind the times on that. If mine start to breed and my LFS is interested, I'll do a specific shrimp tank in whatever color they want.

20201215_162015.jpg

20201210_073931.jpg

• Like 1

I've kept blue dreams and yellows. I got lazy culling the blue dreams and they turned into wild types. X3

I think my favs are these red and white stripey caridinas (not my photo) but I don't have the proper water to keep them.

red-bee-shrimp.jpg

The next neos I plan to buy sometime soon are fire reds.

• Like 2

I have Red and I love the fire reds and am culling toward that in my colonies. I like the blue and orange when I see pics, but in my dark substrate tanks the blues would disappear, and I love the hardiness of my reds. I think because most of my fish are cool tones the pop of red is really nice.

If I were going to start over I would probably spend the money for bloody marys, but the Painted fire gives me a goal to work toward and is almost as awesome.

I’m a big fan of crystal reds. The more candy cane they look the better. Not super in love with the CRS grades that are mostly white, even though those are considered a ‘higher’ grade.  I’m watching a few hundred CRS swim about 2 feet away from me in my recliner as I type this. My favorite tank to relax and look as I unwind at night. Seeing them swarm the food when I drop some in is probably one of my favorite aquarium activities.  

After than I’m partial to cherries and blue dreams. I’d like to start breeding blue dreams next.  

Thank you all! Great comments and love the ideas too. Trying to get my wife to ok a smaller rack... already have 6 tanks around the house for Betta and others but I want to dedicate one area to a different colors.

Thank you! 

I love shrimp but am newer to keeping Neos red blue,orange and yellow are my favorites lol but I also like crystal bee caridina.

I just started an orange Sunkist neo tank. I have fire red and Blue Dreams on the way. I purchased yellow backs and they got lost in the mail and most died in transit the few remaining didn't last  a few days. I also have a skittles tank so that will be where I throw my culls